is this a good deal?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Feb 21, 2004.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

dealer quoted me 2200 for a bobcat 48 inch walk behind with 15hp kohler engine. fixed deck. do you all think this is a good deal?

lawnwizards

2. lawnwizards

22 views and no replies? come on people. surely someone has an opinion on this. thanks.

3. gogetter

gogetter Banned

I'd say it's a good deal. Most 48"'s run about $2500-2800 for belt fixed deck, belt drives.

4. PLI1

PLI1 LawnSite Senior Member

I think this is a fair price. However, I would spend the extra $ and get an Exmark. I own both and I feel the Bobcat is a giant boatanchor in comparison. The Exmark handles and cuts better. I now use the Bobcat as a backup. When it was used regularly, the guys would fight over the Exmarks. Hope this helps. Just my 2 cents.

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

That looks like a good deal to me.

6. lawnwizards

this is my first walkbehind. the dealer says i can get it through gates.

7. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

Does part of the deck "flip up" ? I have some trouble getting my 48" through a 36" gate.

8. lawnwizards

shoot metro-hp-48,
    i really don't know. i just looked at it today. i will demo it before i buy it and i'll check to see if it really gets through gates. i'm still pretty green when it comes to walk behinds.

9. metro-hp_48

from TN

Sure it won't get through a 36". As far as my limited knowledge goes, the only mower I know of that will "flip up" from 52" to 36" is a Great Dane (forget the model name this min.) Never really sure how they worked in the real world. Most gates are 48", but is always good to have a 36" mower in those situations. (or atleast a good 21" mower) if it's your first WB (not to assume it is)
    a 36" is a good starter mower. Part of a winning combo.
    Good luck with whatever you choose ;-) !

10. metro-hp_48

from TN

(Just noticed you mentioned it would be your first wb. my bad)
    Did a search and that Great Dane model is called the "Gateway", I believe. Saw one at my dealer, but know nothing about them.