Is this a good estimate?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mad_wrestler, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Here are all of the particulars. This yard is 14200 sq ft. I quoted $60 to mow/weed eat/ edge/blow. The lawn also needs to be core aerated. I quoted $175. Next were areas to be mulched. Total area was 477 sq ft and that came to $150. Total for the job, $385. Is this a good quote? Thanks

2. grasswhacker

grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member

Seems a bit high. Is there a house on the property? How much trimming is there? Obstacles?

3. mad_wrestler

Yes there is a house on the property. Flat all around. One tree in the front and 17 shrubs to be pruned and trimmed in the mulch beds. There is approximately 843 linear feet of trimming and edging to do. The backyard is approximately 4224 sqft and the front is 9135 sqft. We will be installing 3 yards of mulch in the beds.

4. grasswhacker

Is the trimming/pruning of the shrubs included in your price?

5. mad_wrestler

Yes the trimming and pruning is included

6. lrose2

lrose2 LawnSite Member

It may be a good estimate for you but it is high for my area!

7. grasswhacker

If the shrubs are included for the 385.00 price it then may be too low. Your mowing price seems high, your aeration price seems too high and your mulch price is about right. But if the shrubs are incl you may want to add a bit more.

8. touhey33

touhey33 LawnSite Senior Member

My mow price for 14,000 s.f. would be about 25 dollars, 60 is more for an acre or so. my aeration price would be about 100 or so.

9. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

Seemsa bit high on mowing, unless its a corner lot. A bit high on aewration. Sounds too low for 3 yards of mulch, especially if you're pruning shrubs & cleaning up too. We'd probably be $45 to mow, $125 or so for aeration, 3 yards of mulch$180, plus charge extra for bed re-definition, weeding & application of pre-emergent weed control (Snapshot). Pruning starts at $5 a pice for up to 24" shrubs to $50/shrub if its closer to 20' and requires moving the 12' pruning ladder several times.

10. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's only a little over a 1/4 of an acre of turf then so the mow and aero price you gave is about double what it should be. Cut those in half and you are closer to being right.

Now the mulch price esp if it includes trimming shrubs is too low.

Sounds like you may be having a problem estimating.