Is this a good estimate?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by mad_wrestler, Apr 15, 2005.

1. mad_wrestler

mad_wrestler LawnSite Senior Member

Actual mowing is 17085 sq ft. I did the mowing yesterday for the before mentioned price of $60 dollars. Let me add that it was the first mowing of the year for the yard. And grass has been growing down here for over a month. I think $60 was reasonable. I had to go over the lawn twice. They wanted to discuss the Aeration and Mulch beds over the weekend. I got a call tonight and they requested our services. So we must've met thier approval. I am excited about this because this is my first year. I plan on doing the job next saturday. I have some questions though. They already have pre-existing beds with pine straw and weed blocker. I have read that some LCOs believe that the weed blocker is a waste. Should I remove the weed blocker as well as the old mulch or leave the weed blocker? If I remove it then I should use "Snapshot"? Here are the dimensions of the beds.

24 X 12
    27 X 3
    18 X 6
    2" in depth
    Did I approximate right for the amount of mulch at 3 yards?
    Thanks a lot!
  2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

You did a-ok w/ the mulch. 27 cuft/yd + 162 sq ft/yd at 2" deep (27X6=162) 162*3= 486 486>477 so you're on the money.

Remember to figure your mulch in square feet, or area per cubic yard take 27 (cubic feet/yard)& multiply by 12(inches per foot)/depth of product desired.

For example product @4" = 27*3 or 27*(12/4)
    product at x" deep =27*12/x This give you your square footage