Is this a good idea or not???

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by merve2004_mt, May 18, 2003.

1. merve2004_mt

merve2004_mt LawnSite Member
    from Montana

Hey guys,
    I am from up here in Montana and the lawn mowing season is just getting going. I don't have that many lawns but I am looking to expand. We have a lot of dandelions up here and I thought it would be a good idea to go door to door and find the lawns with a lot of dandelions and weeds and just go offer them to weed and feed their lawn for however much money. Do you guys think this would be a good idea or not? Thanks for your help.
    Jeremy

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

First thing you better do is check with your state dept. of agriculture to find out what the laws are regarding the application of pesticides. Most states require certification and licensing to do this. Another thing to consider, is putting on "weed and feed" as some callit, is only going to bring you limited results, at best. As you learn about this stuff, any granular that you put on that contains a post-emergent herbicide in it (I presume you do not have a spray unit), must be applied under OPTIMUM conditions. The grass must be wet, and then allowed to dry with the residue on the leaves for these products to work. Nit just knowledge, but experience is the key, here. ALOT of damage can be done FAST without the proper know how, training, and experience. Another thing to consider, is are you insured to cover this type of work? Probably not, if you are just asking about going door to door for a few accounts. So, to answer your question, I think it's a good idea to try this? The answer is no. This is not something you just "dabble" in like lawn mowing or gutter cleaning (this is not saying that all mowing is just "dabbling'). This is serious business. Now, what you MIGHT want to consider is subbing it out. THIS is an alternative, but then again, what kind of actual profit are you going to return per the time involved. Again,...with the experience,.... no.

3. greenman

greenman LawnSite Addict

Lol! No. How long until the state catches on to this and shuts you down for no license? You wanna pay up to 10K fine for applying pesticide with no license?

BTW, how can you have legitimately been in biz for 4 years if you're just 17?

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

do it only the legal way and I say...OK.

however, I thought it was thistle, not the dandelion that was the scourge of montana!:eek:

GEO

5. crazygator

crazygator LawnSite Bronze Member

Not a good idea unless its all legit.

6. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

There are alot of people willing to turn you in. Stick to cutting lawns, get your license after school and then go for it.

7. merve2004_mt

from Montana

Well, I always work under the table and have quite a bit of experience putting the weed and feed on. I usually do it about twice a year for my customers I have now and it works great on the dandelions and you can see the grass turn greener within a week. One of my best customers had me put it on last year and after I told her about the hazards for pets and humans she got scared that her cat would di, and she only had me do the spots where the weeds were. Needless to say in about a week where I had put the fertilizer on her grass was three inches taller than the rest. Then she threw a fit cuz her once beatiful lawn was not so beautiful. Anyway back to the subject, I would most likely just work under the table even though it is dangerous. I would also just be using the stuff you get from your local hardware store. What do you guys think. I appreciate the help.

8. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

Are you serious??? Even general use pesticides you still have to be licensed. I would suggest to you to become certified and licensed.

9. merve2004_mt

from Montana

In Montana you get started working earlier wether it be on a ranch or whatever. I have mowed lawns since 1998 and I could do as good a job as any lawn mowing company up here in Montana if we were given the same equipment. I get tired of all the under bidders just like you guys.
    Jeremy

10. ULTIMATE LAWN

ULTIMATE LAWN Banned
    from AL

I think it's a marvelous idea.

Many people here seem to think applying store bought granular weed & feed to kill a few dandylions is rocket science. NOT.

Before I got spray trucks we did this for years. Made enough to pay for 3 Isuzu spray trucks & a few other goodies as well.