Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Bob E, Apr 12, 2005.

1. Bob E

Bob E LawnSite Member

First of all I'm a homeowner and spraying on my own yard only.

I have a 16 gallon ATV spot sprayer with 1 gpm 60 psi pump 12 volt.

I'm thinking about getting a boom (that is made for this sprayer) and mounting it to the front of my walk behind mower. The tank would be straped to the mower deck.

I'd be spraying after I mowed (so the blades would not be turning).

I could use this setup for pre-emergent and post emergent weed control and applying liquid fertizer. I would have to alter my dilution ratios for each of these.

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bob

No problem many guys here do the same thing including me.

Set this unit up with water first and run it on cement where you can see the spray to make sure it is right and calibrate it. Always watch for clodded nozzles. A good filter will help. If you are using a gear drive belt type W/B you should get better calibration because of a more constant speed.

Pre emerge should be watered in. Spray in a different direction than you cut so you can see wheel tracks to get better coverage.

Then buy a electric granule spreader for around $ 350 and you will have the infamous "Stone A Green".

3. TOMMY1115

TOMMY1115 LawnSite Member

or go to your local Lesco dealer (www.lesco.com) and purchase some Tracker Dye. Temporaly color the grass blue so you can see where you've sprayed.

4. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Bob E,
    I think you will have better luck if you can spray several days before cutting. The reason I say this is that if you mow, then go back and spray, there is much less of the material (weed) to get the appropriate herbicide on. If you have a lot of area to cover or dont have time to walk it twice then I guess it will have to work! Make sure you calibrate well as with spraying at the concentrations you will be, it will be easy to overapply.