Is this a good idea?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawnwizards, Dec 5, 2003.

1. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

I started my lawncare business just this past year. Its been pretty successful so far. My question is, during the winter I'll be working for a pizza place. I've already received permission to put my flyers on the boxes. Have any of you tried advertising this way? and if so, did it work for you? or am I barking up the wrong tree on this one and committing business suicide? Please give me some feedback. Thanks.

2. satxmow

satxmow LawnSite Member
    from tx

if all you have to pay is for the flyers why not. that is one way of getting the word out. what would you rather do stand outside the door and hand them you could also go door to door. but with this your killing two birds with one flyer.:gunsfirin

3. Fantasy Lawns

Fantasy Lawns LawnSite Bronze Member

I did this when first started ..... working at $izza H#@ Delivery ...made sure my flyer got on all the good addresses ...

Did flower delivery for Valentine & Mother's Day handing em out to the happy ladies ... with a flyer towards "show em that you luv em with lawn service for a month"

After that it was up to me to sell the seasonal or yearly contract

4. grassworks

grassworks LawnSite Member

I don't think your committing , as you said ," business suicide" but I also fail to see where you would be reaching qualified lawncare users at the moment of decision either (apartments , college frat parties ie.. don't make good sales leads in December). It would be cheap though and wouldn't't hurt much. If you sold just one it would be worth it.:p

5. MTV

MTV LawnSite Member

you can't go wrong. all it's costing you is your paper.

6. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

How did that pan out?
    I did a father's day promo last year, didn't get the response I'd hoped for.
    Crawdad

7. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

seems like a good idea to me

you can even pick and choose the locations once u pull up

only thing i see that may be a draw back is the pizza guy is cutting the lawn thing

outside of that seems like a win, win

you are getting paid to advertise your business

Hey why not give them a free pizza with every contract after the first month service

good luck

8. Lbilawncare

Lbilawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

They don't have to know it's the pizza guy who's flyer they get. Go for it, pick & choose what boxes the flyer goes on to avoid the frat houses etc... .

9. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

Go for it....what do you have to lose?

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I say that would be fine ONLY if it's going to selected addresses and ONLY on boxes you are not delivering yourself.

The last thing you want is for the customer to connect the two...

Pizza Delivery Guy = Lawn Guy
    Pizza Delivery Boy = Lawn Boy

Nothing wrong with the marketing idea and nothing wrong with delivering pizza either. I just think allowing the prospect to make a connection between the two separate jobs might spell trouble in the long run. Implied expectations about what they think you will work for $$$. Or they may treat you differently thinking they can get by with it because they think you need their business too much. See where I'm coming from.

I really hope I have not offended........