Is this a good Main mower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CURB APPEAL NC, Jun 29, 2005.

1. CURB APPEAL NC

CURB APPEAL NC LawnSite Member

2. CURB APPEAL NC

Price seems fishy. i checked a dealer site and the 36" is 3995. how can they sell a 48" for 2995. big difference!

3. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

You have to be very, very careful of these too good to be true items on e-bay.
    Alot of these are scams. Personally, I wouldn't buy something like this unless this guy's store was within a short drive of my house, and I could go check it out in person.

4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Again, do you have a Great Dane dealer in your area??

If not, then how will you get service?

If you do, go pound on him and get his price down on the same model.

Even if you have to pay $200 - $500 more at your local dealer, you're better off when it comes time to service the mower.

Everyone's always looking to save a buck here and there, and then complains because they can't get any service.

Support your local dealer and they'll support you back.

If not, then it's time to move to another dealer.

5. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

Very Well said !!!

6. CURB APPEAL NC

just called the local dealer and before I mentioned any other ads he gave me the same price as the site! Both models are on closeout are priced accordingly. So I will be dealing with the local guy after all. thanks
    Do you think 17 hp is enough for a 52" or should I go with the 48 17hp? keep in mind I will be using a proslide or such and I weigh 260!!!

7. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

When I had walkbehinds, I ran 18 hp / 52". It worked pretty good. These were belt drives though, not hydros.

The hydros will take more power, but since you're using the same hp and just losing 4" on the deck, I'd take the 52" if it's the same price.

If not, then you have to decide if the accouts you're going to go after are better off being done with a mower that's 4" smaller or not.

8. Carolina Cutter

Carolina Cutter LawnSite Senior Member

It's still a pistol grip.....which means pain in the long run....

I give up.

9. jt5019

jt5019 LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds legit.... i dont know how much that brand normally goes for but it seems like a good deal to me.

10. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member