Is this a good mower or not?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Schwartz, Oct 17, 2007.

1. Schwartz

Schwartz LawnSite Member

I plan on starting my first season next year, just wanted some feedback if this was a good mower or not... I also have to buy a truck and trailer figured i might need at least a $10,000 loan to do it right.

view larger image
    Cub Cadet Z-Force 50 Zero-Turn Mower

MODEL#: Z-FORCE 50
    HP: 23
    PTO: Electric
    ENGINE: Kohler Command Twin-Cylinder
    TRANSMISSION: Dual HydroGear ZT-2800
    FRAME: Heavy-Duty Welded Steel
    DECK: 50
    BLADES: Triple
    AXLES: Pivoting
    FUEL TANK (gal): 5
    FRONT TIRE SIZE: 11x4x5
    REAR TIRE SIZE: 18x9.5x8
    OIL (oz): 64
    WARRANTY: 3-year limited residential/1-year commercial
  2. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

i wouldn't go with that cub, its there low end commercial zero turn. try demo other models and brands. maybe look for a good used one with a bagger too. you'll want a 6x12 open trailer and no smaller. a bp blower and good trimmer. i would suggest a full size truck, its worth it.
  3. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

for that price, your better off buying a used industry mower. Scag, toro, exmark, ferris. If its your first season go with a 36 and a pusher. you will make more money than you think. W Stander 36 or 32 will do circles around the cub cadet on residential lawns and they run about the same price new.
  4. jbannick18

jbannick18 LawnSite Senior Member

Agreed, don't get that one. I'm a toro man myself, I'd advise looking into them
  5. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Since I'm a more or less of a novice to the mower industry please excuse the naivite of this question: Isn't Cub Cadet manufactured by MTD or just their residental stuff? I rarely hear anything negative about Wright Standers, as they are fast and durable. The deck on the regular Stander my be a bit of a hassle to raise and lower on a regular basis, but it is a more affordable alternative to the Stander RH. Do I understand correctly that there is a 32" Stander, because that might be an affordable alternative to a Ferris 36" Hydrocut? Thanks
  6. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

commercial cubs are not mtd.... get any commercial grade mower, the cub tanks are great... but any true commercial mower will do, not that one
  7. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Okay, thanks. That's what my assumption was, but I wasn't sure.
  8. loom-gen

loom-gen LawnSite Member

There is indeed a 32 stander and I use the crap out of mine. Raising and lowering the blades is crumby but I just mow everyone at 3.5 anyway so I never mess with it.
  9. 93Chevy

93Chevy LawnSite Fanatic

Maybe I'll look into 32" Standers. Thanks.