Is this a good price or what ?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by yardmanlee, Jan 2, 2006.

1. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

I found a 1996 f-250 4x4 extended cab long bed
    powerstroke w/ 4spd auto and 81,000 miles
    for 13,500 at a local ford dealership.

would like ya'lls imput

thanks
    lee

2. grassmanak

grassmanak LawnSite Senior Member

seems high

3. yardmanlee

yardmanlee LawnSite Senior Member

for a diesel ? I was thinkin a little low, how do the transmissions hold up ?

4. lwcmattlifter

lwcmattlifter LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

That's a decent price.

5. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

Sounds pretty decent to me.

6. UNISCAPER

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

for a diesel ? I was thinkin a little low, how do the transmissions hold up ?

If it hasn't had at least 2 replaced already I would be shocked. But in all reality, it's due. Make the dealer give you a 30,000 mile warrantee on the tranny or deduct $3,000.00 for a replacemnt plus some lost time right off the price.

7. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha LawnSite Member

I would buy it up. The price seems pretty good. Personally I wouldn't worry about the tranny, UNISCAPER doesn't like them, he has had some bad luck. But I had a 94 F250 extcab long box PSD/auto that I put over 70,000miles on towing and plowing snow. I sold the truck with 110,000 miles on it and still had the orginal tranny in it. It had a heavy duty cooler and I changed the fluid/filter every 25,000 miles. Let us know it you buy it. Good luck....

8. Jpocket

Jpocket LawnSite Silver Member

Tell him $10,500 and he's got a deal. Tell him you won't buy it for a penny more. Tell them it's gonna need a transmission within the next 30,000 miles, and point out some of the other flaws of the truck.

They should sell it for that cuz they are only looking to get 11-$12,000 for if they are asking 13,500.

9. brunosplace

brunosplace LawnSite Member

after having 5 different Ford with Diesels in the family, not one lost a tranny, all had more than 150k miles before they were sold. Used all to tow 32ft 5th wheel RV, or 6 place horse trailer with living quarters, no problems.

10. greenscapes inc.

greenscapes inc. LawnSite Member
    from Utah

If I was selling a truck for 13,500 and some one offered me 10,500 and told me the trans was going bad I would laugh and say good luck. A 96 PSD with that low of miles will sell easy. You take care of the transmissions and they will last a long time. I have one with 120000 miles on it and it has plow and pulled hard since day one and it still shift like new. Change they fluid every season and your good to go.