Is this a good price?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by markethound80, May 18, 2009.

1. markethound80

markethound80 LawnSite Member

My driveway is presently asphalt and is 620 sq feet. The company doing my back patio and front entrance offered to also do my driveway for additional $3500. These are using the Strada Antico Stones. Retail costs of these stones is $3.89 sq ft. These seems like a really good price. any suggestions?

2. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

demo of current drive included? I'd say way too cheap for a drive. but maybe if you're in fl. but I'd still say too cheap. make sure they're doing a proper base and whatnot for your region.

3. markethound80

I am located in Ontario..

4. BrandonV

so is that in US$ or Can$

5. markethound80

CDN... Keep in mind, I am the customer here. So this is a paving company giving me a price. $3800 for 620 sq foot driveway that is already covered in asphalt which he would obviously remove and lay down the interlock stones. I believe normally driveways my size would go for between 8k to 10k. And that is why this price seems so good.

6. lblmike

lblmike LawnSite Member

seems way too low

probably using gravel under ashphalt as base. and no edging (brickstop) and no polymeric sand in joints

7. 4 seasons lawn&land

4 seasons lawn&land LawnSite Gold Member
    from NY

too good of a price... should cost that in materials if he's doing it right... which mean's he's probably not.:drinkup:

8. BrandonV

too good to be true, you'll be paying to have it redone in a few years unless he's doing it at a loss just to have product in your development or some kind of marketing strategy but STILL way too good to be true, especially in a cold climate.

9. soopa

soopa LawnSite Member
    from NY

asphalt is easy to demo, light to haul, and free to recycle. base is a major part of paver cost. if all he's doing is screeding sand on the existing base and laying block and you've already covered his cost of getting on to the site/etc then i can see how he can make worthwhile money at that price.

the driveway sounds really small, if it's straight in and out then it's even more realistic.

his paver cost is probably about $2100-2200, edging under 50, poly about 400, and bedding sand under 50. labor cost is rather minimal, sounds like a small half day project for a lean crew to me (given proper equipment).

i'd just make sure he is using the proper materials and the base is acceptable (it probably isnt). paver driveways with ruts are no fun.

installation details should be included in the proposal and make sure it comes with a warranty... 5-year minimum is pretty standard for paver work.

10. markethound80

Yes, he will be using the existing base and also adding a little. My home is new, built only 2 years ago. Builders and Developers in my area (York Region, Ontario) usually have exceptional bases and are good for pavers. A friend of mine used the existing base for his pavers and it looks great after years of wear and tear. The driveway is a very simple in and out.