Is this a good starter equipment list?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by mgregm, Aug 9, 2006.

1. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

-toro/ exmark 21" commercial
    -Edger Stihl FC110 (with star blade)
    -Trimmer Stihl FS100RX or FS130
    -Blower Stihl BR600
    -Hedge Clippers Stihl HS81T or HS80 24"
    -Spreader Lesco
    -Gas Can No-Spill Brand

-Underarmour Polo shirt
    -Dickies pants
    -Machanix/sears brand Imoact gloves
    -Boonie Hat

I know there are things I am missing, but these are the ones I wanted input on. If you have any suggestions please let me know why. I am a newbie and trying to leran as much as i can before i jump in the fire.

Thanks GregO
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The list looks decent, but what do you plan on doing with your spreader? Hopefully only seeding until you get licensed for fert.
  3. barefootlawnsandlandscape

barefootlawnsandlandscape LawnSite Senior Member

Safety Glasses
    Ear Plugs/Safety Headphones
    Leaf Rake
    Business Certificate

If you go with the 600 blower you will love it. I would go ahead and spring for two weedeaters.
    I would ditch the underarmor, it is too expensive to ruin and no one is going to be impressed, just a white cheap collared shirt will do.
  4. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

From what i have found out I dont need a license to fertilize in texas, I do need one for pesticides. I could be wrong tho. The business license, tax Id, insurance got all planned out after i pick the company name. i was more worried about the equipment, because next year the prices are going up. in the winter i can get closeouts and used items cheaper. I just dont want to buy something crappy. I wanted the uniforms to look professional and keep me as cool as possible. I know it dosnt get that hot in Texas but every little bit helps.:hammerhead: I am looking for any recommendations of things that i havent considered or if there is something better to fit my needs.
  5. DodgeTruckMan731

DodgeTruckMan731 LawnSite Senior Member

if you haven't already bought the 21" mower go with a 36" mower you will be much happier.
  6. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

Barefoot yea i should probly get 2 trimmers. I thought the underarmour was high in price too, but the dark green polo looked really good. I ordered one to try and see if it helps keep me cool this year while I help my friend finish up his first year in business. I cant wait to try the Br600 compare to the homedepot echo we have been using.

I was looking at a scag Zcat but my credit wasnt good enough. I am checking out the gravely 34" Z turn right now. Was told it would be easier to get finaced.
  7. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Do you have any accounts yet? What do you have as far as a truck and trailer?
  8. mgregm

mgregm LawnSite Member

My friend is going to give me 7 of his accounts. I have a ranger but no trailer. Was thinking about a small starter trailer for first year. I figured a small truck would be best until I started pursuing commercial account and/or needed a crew, with the price of gas so high.