Is this a good truck to use???

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by M&B LAWN CARE, Jan 7, 2010.

1. eludemann

eludemann LawnSite Member

7.5 is a 460 gas. expect no more than 12 mpg, tops.

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Looks decent! Those 460's are thirsty but if your pulling heavy, they'll do real good!

3. rcslawncare

rcslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member

So the truck itself has more than 40k then right? Just the motor is fresh? Something to look into.

4. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

My truck also has a service body on it, except I have a 2500. The service body is nice for lawn care, I can carry a bunch of tools and things I need for working. But since my truck is also my personal truck, it isn't exactly the best personal truck. Which is why I will be getting a different truck in a few weeks or months (depending on when I find the one I want). But anyway, this truck would be great for lawn care stuff, just make sure it is mechanically in good shape.

5. M&B LAWN CARE

M&B LAWN CARE LawnSite Member

i am guessing that it does, i didn't ask the guy if that was original miles or a rebuild.

6. M&B LAWN CARE

will definetly make sure it is mechanically in good shape first. do you have alot of room to put debris in the bed part of it?

7. mowerbrad

mowerbrad LawnSite Fanatic

Like anything, it always seems to fill up too fast. I can fit about 1.5 yards of bark/mulch in it, as is, but I could probably squeeze 2 yards in mine if I really needed to. Otherwise, hauling brush/debris, grass/leaves it works great. Its really nice for when I need extra space for debris after my trailer is filled. The service body on the truck you're looking at is probably a little bigger than mine since mine is only a srw truck.

8. GravelyGuy

GravelyGuy LawnSite Silver Member
    from Indiana

If it's 41,000 miles rebuilt then I would keep your newer f150, especially if you know that your truck was maintained.

9. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Are you kidding me I don't think so you won't see anymore than 8mpg probably more like 6.5-7 mpg. I have had 460 powered trucks good engines just a little piggy on fuel. They don't have any problems handling a heavy load.

10. M&B LAWN CARE

i understand that part, but if i use my f150 pulling a 12 or 14 ft trailer i would think that the gas mileage would be about the same since my f150 is only a 4.2 v6 having to give it more gas to pull the load, so i would be in the same boat so to speak but with a heavier truck. is my thinking on this anywhere near correct?