Is this a new common practice?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tilawn, Mar 22, 2008.

1. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

Was wondering if I am missing something "NEW" in this business.
    In my area I have a few companies (small ans large) going out and preparing bids and proposing them to potential new clients. More so some of mine. And by the way these potential clients are not asking for these estimates. Is this a new practice to increase client list? Anybody else run into this, or doing this?

2. ha305

ha305 LawnSite Member

shake em down.... :hammerhead:

3. packey

packey LawnSite Senior Member

Let me ask you this does the other lco know these are your clients. More than likely not. Is their a problme with an lco getting out and beeting the bush to gain accounts Your competition is out their if you are not on your a game you will loose your clients. I just posted about what I noticed in the Heb are in dallas ft worth of the lack of umph the lco's are excerciseing. I could have landed 3 new customers today without even trying. I figure if I was trying I coould of had atleast 10-15. If someone is giving your clientes bids go talke to them and make sure you have them secureed. I know whenI was out searching for clients years ago I looked for the clients who needed the work do your clients look like they need service. I am not tring to upset anyone.

4. cpel2004

cpel2004 LawnSite Bronze Member

You guys should stop busting chops, lol

5. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale LawnSite Senior Member

A manager of a property I took care of called me one day to tell me another company just showed up and dropped off an unsolicited proposal. It was half my price. I told him there's no way I would even entertain gong there for a dollar less than I'm doing it for now. They didn't go for it, and renewed with me. It left me wondering WTF's up with that other contractor. A few years later it all made sense to me. I'm at an auction, and I see 25+ trucks, trailers, mowers, tractors, etc,at the fire sale and I figured these guys went bust. The following spring, the other guys were back at it even stronger, and it didnt matter where you went in a 150 KM radius, they were there. It just so happens, that they were dropping their pants, to inflate their sales #'s to look good on paper, and they then divided up teritories and sold them off as franchises. If you do good work-most of the time, the client will be loyal to you.

6. tilawn

tilawn LawnSite Member

i have no problem with the clients. actually they all thought it was rude of the other lco to submit an unsolicited bid. very unprofessional and greedy.

7. kleankutslawn

kleankutslawn LawnSite Bronze Member

well he may have already been in the area and thought,since im here to see if they are satisfied with there curent provider,might as well go a step further & leave them my bid now.say a trip ,time & gas.

8. kootoomootoo

kootoomootoo LawnSite Platinum Member

Just when you think you have read it all...

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Call me unprofessional and greedy, then....because I've been doing this since 1984. I am doing it right now, and will continue doing so. I don't sit home waiting for the property owners to come knocking on my door.
    There are 3 types of people in this world. There are those that make it happen,...there are those that sit back and watch it happen, ...and there are those that end up saying "Hey,...what just happened?".

10. meets1

meets1 LawnSite Gold Member

I hate that when it happens but I do it. Friday and monday i will be out. A few new businesses during the fall and winter and I will stop in, make my presence, if not leave a card and telling them I will call back within a day or two. I try to be presistent with the people in charge, telling them the work we do, places we service and see what happens. Sometimes i find out that last fall they hired X cuz some office personal new the guy. It is what it I guess but I beleive you have to activite, not pro activite. Yes i wish the phone would ring 24/7 but not everyone knows us, what services we offer etc. So if your not knocking on doors, better lace the boots and head out!