Is this a normal amount of material for getting certified?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by bill8379, Jan 17, 2008.

1. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

Bit over whelming.:confused: must be a thousand pages, but this is what they sent me to study for the test.. actually it's two tests.

Getting-certified-800x600.jpg

2. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

This is just the start!

Just like anything in life, the book stuff is the smallest part! Experience will help you more then any of them books (although the books are important)!

Good Luck!

3. Whitey4

Whitey4 LawnSite Silver Member

Looks about the same as my test study materials. Maybe a bit less than what I got. I've been putting in about 4 to 6 hours a day, and that's after my 30 hour class. My test is on the 29th.... less than two weeks now! :cry:

4. bill8379

bill8379 LawnSite Senior Member

You had to go to school to? I'm not sure, but I don't think I'm have to.. I better double check:confused:

5. carcrz

carcrz LawnSite Silver Member

no school required here either. Only a test I think. They may have changed it for newbies though.

6. Whitey4

In NY, you can take this class or have 2 years of apprentice experience to take the test. Nice thing about the class is that they teach the test. That gave me a better idea of what specific areas the test will concentrate on. There is no way I could remember that much material just by reading for a month or two.

Requirements can be (and usually are) different in each state, except for Nebraska and Colorado, that use a federal program.

7. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Our guys take two tests -- the "core test" ..50 questions, and the "3OT" ..35 questions(turf & ornamental). I take several more tests so I can also do the "specialty treatments" and also cuz I'm a genious LOL LOL LOL! Anyways.......we can retest every day until we finally pass (just like a driver's liscence). I tell my guys to memorize the wrong answers (which they show you) and go back everyday until they finally pass both tests. Most of the questions don't apply to us, so go figure.????

I had a guy a few years ago who took the tests 23 times before he passed! He was smart -- just not "test smart". Anyway...the State boys started going out to lunch with him cuz he was there for many days in a row! True story.

8. Whitey4

Funny story! We have 2 tests... the CORE and 3a for turf and ornamentals. 50 questions each. On the CORE, you have to get at least 6 out of the first ten right, ot automatically fail. Otherwise, it's 35 out of 50 right on each test. If you fail the CORE, you can't take 3a. If you fail you have to wait a month. Fail again, and it's back to class for 12 hours. The time between tests gets longer the more you fail. NY doesn't mess around.

9. rcreech

rcreech Sponsor
    Male, from OHIO

I wish all states were like NY when it comes to the test!

10. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Here you can pass one test while fail the other. Then you just have to retest the one you failed until you pass that one. They show you the wrong anwers, so just memorize them and test again the next day while it's fresh in your mremory. I know this sounds stupid & funny. But when the State boys knew Dave by name and asked him out for lunch several times..............that's something I'll never forget and enjoy talking about. BTW Dave now works for the city of Des Moines..........go figure!!! LOL