Is this a normal wear pattern on pulley?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by apples017, Nov 16, 2007.

1. apples017

apples017 LawnSite Member

Hi,

This is the pulley assembly that came off the motor shaft of a B/S 12.5hp Twin Cylinder MTD Yardman 38" Ride on.

The larger pulley is the drive for the cutting deck. I noticed the blades were not cutting very good at all. And have been having problems with the bagger. Then the oter day it pooed it'self.

So looking at the pictures in the blue circle. Does this look like it has worn say 1/8 to 1/4". As there is a gap underneath the red line. It might be designed like this, with that gap for the belt to fit in, I dunno. Is it possible for a rubber belt to wear away steel/metal like this. I don't think so, but I'm chasing another opinion.

Are there any places online that I can get second hand mower parts from. One place quoted me $176incl GST Australian dollars. Far out, what is it a titanium teflon plated hypersonic pulley?

Peter
    Australia

Pulley a.JPG

pulley b.JPG

pullet c.JPG

2. apples017

Ahh looks like it might have been fix some time before, cause of the weld? I reckon that ain't a factory part, lol.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

That is a normal wear pattern on the pulley and yes a belt will in time do this to a steel pulley, Yes that pulley has broken before and someone re-welded it.

Sounds like a name someone gave a pulley just so they could get more money for it, Never heard of one.

4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello , the v belt pully is from the pictures at least appears worn out . Yes a belt does wear steel .As the pulley gets worn more than just a little [ridges start to form] the belt has trouble gaining traction . Poor performance results . The indication of this is the bright appearance of the v groove . The expected discolouration should be a dull silver colour on the pully surface . [this only applies to constantly engaged belts ]. Belt systems that have a tension or friction engagement system and or overloaded during operation wear pulleys as per your example .

tomo:waving:

5. apples017

I have also been noticing slow acceleration on the ride on as well, Dare say then that this fella might be the culprit then as well.

Thanks

6. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

You are been had. I have done some checking. That titanium teflon plated hypersonic pulley is bull. Titanium plated with teflon is for knife blades. And think about it, what good would a teflon coated pulley? Teflon is a non-stick slick coating, the belt would never grab the pulley at all. Give us here at LawnSite the model number of your machine and the part number you came up with for the pulley and lets see what we can do.

http://www.m-and-d.com/
    They ship worldwide

7. apples017

lot/model

139-685 662-E229H

----------------------------
    They are the two sets of numbers under the seat.

Engine pulley mtp7560530
    Drive belt mtp9540281
    Drive belt mtp9540281a
    Deck belt mtp9540329a

These are the parts that the mower shop used. Dunno if they are right though. The model numbers I gave you are funny as I have not been able to bring them up on any website that sells parts, The one mower shop had trobule using the numbers as well.

Peter

8. apples017

also when in neutral and spped shift is in park, when let foot off pedal there is a sort of worn whining sound that comes from underneath mower. With out having looked into it yet, what pulley would likely be worn?

Peter

9. apples017

Also this afternoon, I was reversing backwards up and down a small hill pushing soil around. When going back up the hill in reverse, the machine only goes up slowly. Whether that is because it's up hill and I had weights on it and it makes it slow?

But if I use the heel of my foot and pull the brake/clutch pedal backwards using a bit of force the machines momentum will pick up. But when doing this and getting a run up the mower will get about half way up the hill and stop.........

Then I put the clutch in the release it again and the the mower will continue on up the hill..
    But when I release the pedal it is like dumping the clutch in a car. The wheels spin straight away from the start. Where as when taking off normally the clutch slowly comes out and the whole acceleration process has to slowly wind up.

What is going on here.

I'm trying to think of other things that could be worn on the machine.

Is is possible to get into the rear axle and drain the oil and replace it. It is probably a sealed unit and I reckon that the oil would be stuffed as the machine is 10-15 years old. Maybe I can pull it out and drill a hole to drain the oil and tap it and put a bolt there.???

Peter
    Australia

10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Are you SURE you didn't trans-pose these two numbers ?

Your unit is a 1989 and the only number close I found on my dealer's site was 139-658 xxx.....

Your drive system problem could be either worn slipping belts or the vari-drive pulley sticking, The noise you hear with the clutch out in neutral could be the variator pulley bearings or the trans-axle input shaft bearings.

The trans-axle is packed with grease, No oil to be changed.