Is this a piece of?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kcowell, Apr 13, 2005.

1. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

48" MTD going cheap, real cheap on Ebay......any idea on this piece of equipment or it's worth to you? Even if you don't like the model, etc. give a basic "worth" of it.

2. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

3. AlbeLawn

AlbeLawn LawnSite Member

it is a scam dont even think of sending any money there seller id was hacked

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

SCAM! I'd bet money that the real seller did sell this, but then someone hacked his account, re-listed it and changed the shipping to "worldwide", lowered the price, and made thier ID private. I'll bet if you contact them they would gladly take the funds western union... More e-bay scammers! I have seen less of this this spring for mowers. last winter and spring there was scam mowers all over on e-bay.

I've been a victom to this myself... Not as a buyer, but as a seller, my account was hijacked because I had sold a couple ATV's and someone wanted some fast money so they hacked my password and re-listed my quad and changed the e-mail address that my account had so they would get any correspondences. Lucky foe me at the time I was checking my account daily and caught it soon!

5. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

His email address matches his ebay ID... and it works. So is it really a scam?

6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

It has about 5 tale-tale signs of being a scam.

1. user ID kept private.
    2. ships "world wide" (not feasable for a large mower $$$$$$)
    3. One day auction.
    4. Extremely LOW price.
    5. E-mail is offered thru a link rather than using e-bay.

When my account was hijacked my id still matched up with my e-mail address too because they CHANGED my email address that e-bay had on record. Oh, and when the guy changed it he kept my address the same as it was, but changed the service. I use MSN an he used my name and went with AOL. Very clever....

Look at the past items this account has sold. granted you can only view two, but one is a patch and the other is some womens leg warmers... not likely this guy is now selling commercial lawn equipment.

7. kcowell

kcowell LawnSite Member

I have a 27 rating on ebay and have never heard of this stuff going on. I wasn't too interested in the mower, so I never picked up on the suspicious clues. Way to go detective!

8. BobcatZT

BobcatZT LawnSite Member

Ebay Member Profile: onklewilly

Email: onlkewilly@aol.com

The email has a slight spelling difference than the ebay ID.

9. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Dang! Didn't even catch that. Getting ripped off on ebay is no fun at all.