1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Is this a scam?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by drains, Feb 12, 2004.

1. drains

drains LawnSite Member

2. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

YES------------------

3. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

Run, dont walk from this one!

4. R&K Ent.

R&K Ent. LawnSite Member

Doesn't ebay have some kinda policy against fraud or give you some course of action.

5. drains

drains LawnSite Member

I reported it to Ebay. They are usually good about pulling ads that are suspicious, at least when they get reported. Thanks

6. oleo

oleo LawnSite Member

SCAM FOR SURE! GERMANY????? FREE SHIPPING - COME ON NOW!

7. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I totally agree that this looks suspicious. I looked at the ad before I even read this thread - as it caught my eye too. I certainly wouldn't bid on it BUT how can you tell it's a scam. It maybe just a very poorly written auction. Don't get me wrong, I'm very leary of the auction but I just wanted to know if I was missing something that gives this away for sure as a scam. Thanks for the education.

BTW - I emailed seller some questions about this - I'll keep you posted.

8. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

These guys usually try to offer you a "better" deal if you wire money to them. They will end the auction early and deal with you (excluding e-bay) so then e-bay cant help resolve anything because you didnt use them. Of coarse there are several other ways they use to get into your pockets if your now on top of them. Like the ol saying goes "if it seems too good to be true, it probably is". If it isnt in the USA, watch out!

9. matthew horner

matthew horner LawnSite Senior Member

He said I could wire money to him via western union, and asked for my full name etc for extra info. I did'nt provide it, and asked where the mowers were and why he did'nt have pic and where did he get them etc. He has'nt responded.
    Matt BUT I NEED ONE SO BAD:eek:

10. drains

drains LawnSite Member

The ad hasn't been pulled yet but maybe if enough of us report it to Ebay they might pull the ad soon. I reported it earlier so maybe if a few more would it might save some poor guy or gal some money and grief. I want an Exmark Turf Tracer 52" 23 hp kaw. real bad though. ; )