Is this a tranny problem with my 150?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Smithers, Feb 19, 2005.

1. Smithers

Smithers LawnSite Silver Member

Hi guys, i have a '97 f-150. I bought it used last year around this time.

over the past week it has been making a very low almost a swooshing noise when i am stopping at the light.

Imagine the pass-by noise that the nascar cars make when they drive by the cameras and microphones...now, reduce the intensity and that is what i get. could that be the transmission trying to keep up with the rpms when it is downshifting?

any ideas?

also, when i am stopping the bed is hopping like crazy. i think i have to replace the shocks in the rear. it happenes at about 40 mph.

thank you.

2. aries

aries LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

How many miles on it ?

3. Smithers

Sorry, I forgot about that. It has 97,000 miles. 4.6 V8.

4. Mark McC

Mark McC LawnSite Bronze Member

If it's the original transmission, 97,000 might be about right for expected life. The bed-hopping thing I'm not sure about, though. If you push down hard on the back of the truck and it settles down quickly, the shocks might be okay. If it bounces more than twice, the shocks are definitely gone.

I'm no mechanic though, and that's really what you need: a mechanic.

5. jimslawns

jimslawns LawnSite Senior Member

when you are driving normally is the transmission acting normally? smooth shift, no strange vibrations, no shudder? if it is correct when you are driving and you are only having the problem when stopping, I would get the rear brakes checked out first

6. Smithers

it is the original tranny. at least from what i know....i got it wiht 89K miles on it. i doubt that anyone would have changed it earlier.

for the shocks to bounce twice, they really must be messed up...but i will change them anyway.

There is a lot of powertrain noise in the up shifting, but once it shifts at about 2K RMP, it is smooth and barely any sound from the engine. What i mean is, when i am cruising, i can barely hear the engine. but otherwise it sounds like it is struggling... but i think it's normal.

but definetely not shudders, jerks, or anything like that. except last night. i was at the stop light and i was at idle and the whole cab started shaking. once i started going again, it went away. has not happened since or before last night

i will check the rear and front brakes when it gets warm.

7. Gilla Gorilla

Gilla Gorilla LawnSite Senior Member

Check the plug wires it sounds like one of them went bad. You are also due for a tune up, that engine should have the 100K mile platinum plugs in it. Go to the dealership and get a set of MOTORCRAFT plugs, not a aftermarket set from napa or some other parts store and also pic up a set of OEM plug wires while you are there. Do that and I bet your shaking cab will be gone.

Oh yeah dont forget to tighten down the clamps on the two heater hoses going into the heater core at the firewall. Ford had a problem with them loosing a little coolant on their F150, Expeditions and Navigator engines but I cant remember if it was just on the 5.4 liters or also the 4.6 liters.

Now go out and spend a couple of bucks and tune it up and it should run fine again.

Justin

8. Smithers

justin, a tune-up was done the same week that i bought the truck last year....i bought bosch platinum plugs and wires. changed them atthe dealer cause it was impossible to reach the back 4 cilynders. dont know about the clams on the heater hoses. have to check that.

i am more concerned about the "swooshing noise" than the shaking, which happened just last night.

9. riches139

riches139 LawnSite Senior Member

To me, sounds like the fan clutch kicking in at low rpm.

While running, have someone put it in gear while you're outside the truck to locate the noise.

At 97000, you're going to get alot of noise coming from worn parts all over the truck.

10. Eric 1

Eric 1 LawnSite Bronze Member

You have a vacuum leak.

If the engine does not have enough vacuum it will struggle to make power, idle rough and you will hear the sucking sound. Check ALL the rubber hoses connected to the engine, esp. the intake manifold.

A spray bottle with a soapy solution is also a good tool to find vacuum leaks.