Is this a weed or just another type of bermuda grass?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by DeepGreenLawn, Jul 12, 2008.

1. DeepGreenLawn

DeepGreenLawn LawnSite Silver Member

I think this is a weed, the leaves have the veins(?) going straight along the leaf. Kind of like crabgrass I think. You know, has the ridges on the leaf. But looking at it mixed in with the bermuda, they look very similar. This is just a little darker than the other. Even pulling out that one piece was hard to keep them apart, but it is still noticeable with the two different colors. This is crappy bermuda anyways but I still have a job to do.

Any suggestions?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

2. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

It looks to me like a hybrid St Augustine.

3. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I would have to agree St Augustine, most likely

4. DeepGreenLawn

that is the other thing I had in mind, but it didn't look anything like the other crabgrass about a foot away and I don't see it much here. I was 90% sure that it wasn't bermuda, just it looked SO similar that I had a hard time following it through the bermuda and not losing the stem I was trying to pull.

If it is, sorry Tree for all the weed remarks, that isn't a bad looking grass, I think, and you know what I mean, of crabgrass as the big clumps of pain in the a#$ that we get in our yards. That could work as a lawn I think.

OK, so... I know we are off organics, this isn't an organic lawn anyway, regular grassy weed killer can kill it?

5. treegal1

treegal1 LawnSite Gold Member

thats what we grow as a lawn here, thats sag floratine

6. DeepGreenLawn

well then like I said, I take back what I said about growing weeds down there, I am impressed and have not seen crabgrass of this variety before.

SO, how do I kill it? :D

7. treegal1

if its just a little, hand pull, if its a lot try burnout or scythe.

8. DeepGreenLawn

it takes up the majority of her spot of grass, I don't want to kill everything, just the crabgrass. I have some Revolver that I use for the other big crabgrass, will that do the trick? It takes about 3 weeks for it to have an effect though, but I explain that to the customer, At least it isn't really stand outish like the type a foot away, that I can pull pretty easily.

9. treegal1

your headed in the opposite direction i go, sorry not going to be that helpful,

10. DeepGreenLawn

LOL, I know, sorry, this is one of the stubborn traditional customers I have. I don't use that stuff much just in situations like this, then once it is under control I throw it out again.