Is this a weed?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by platinum, Apr 9, 2011.

1. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

Starting to see this pop up this year next to one of my flower beds. Can you let me know what it is so I can remove it.

thanks,

weed01.jpg

2. Ryno98

Ryno98 LawnSite Member

Looks a lot like mint. If you crush a leaf does it smell minty? Either way, 2,4 D will probably kill it.

3. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

Doesn’t really smell like mint... under the leaves it has small round purple flower like buds.

I have some 3-way but was hoping to know what it was first so I put down an adequate application.

Thanks for the help..

4. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

It's purple dead nettle. Usually pops up in the late winter/early spring. Also usually dies out on it's own as soon as it gets warm.

5. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

yep... that looks like it, thanks.

Do they sell that as a plant or flower? I have more of it in my flower bed that I thought was creeping merle or something.

How does this spread.. should I remove it from the beds too.

6. dboyd351

dboyd351 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is is actually a non-native invasive exotic and is considered a weed by most. I found out it was invasive when I was trying to look up what it was. If I recall correctly, I found it on the CT DNR website where it was listed as a non-native invasive.
    Here on VA's Eastern Shore it suddenly blooms this time of year and can be seen blanketing lots of fallow agricultural fields. It is a significant source of nectar for honeybees at a time of year when not much else has bloomed, except maybe dandelions.
    Soon as it gets and stays warm the blooms disappear and it becomes much less noticable. I think even the leaves mostly disappear, as I don't notice them much in late spring/summer.
    I don't know how it spreads, but now that you know the name you can probably google it and find out.
    As I said, I think it will essentially go away on it's own once it gets warm, so I wouldn't bother killing it if it were me.
    We get it every year from maybe February to April, then it disappears. I haven't researched how it spreads or how to kill it.

7. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

It has a few names. At least it helps the bees out.

8. platinum

platinum LawnSite Member

thanks everyone...

9. parrotfeathers

parrotfeathers LawnSite Member

I think the common name for it is henbit. Here in Mississippi this year it is rampant in all the fields. It wasn't like this last year. I would think it needed pulling up in flower beds before flowering to prevent seeding for next year?

10. ChiTownAmateur

ChiTownAmateur LawnSite Senior Member

It's very easy to remove by hand and tends to spread quickly by staying low at the soil level and spreading with a stolon-like action. I hand pull it and think that is the best way to avoid damaging anything around it. In a larger area I think spot-spraying would be best.