Is this acceptable or not?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by 1MajorTom, Oct 28, 2004.

1. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

This is a NON paying leaf cleanup customer. She has her grandkids cleanup her leaves. However, the grass still needs cut.
    We don't want to have bag up all the leaves in the process while cutting, we don't want to have to mulch them to make a bunch of ground up leaves in her tiny yard, and we don't want to just side discharge them everywhere.
    So we still got the cut in, we didn't leave the yard a total mess, and all leaves are contained in one area without any hassles.
    Any one else ever do this??? The customer absolutely loved the idea.

TreeRing.jpg

2. fga

fga LawnSite Silver Member

but aren't you still going through the motions of raking and blowing them there? that's the real labor, bagging them is easy.

3. 1MajorTom

Rake?? No way.
    That was done in 5 minutes tops with the 48 inch walkbehind only, cutting and blowing them in like that just with the machine. No extra work involved at all.
    I never see anyone mention this here about making tree rings, for customers that don't take a leaf cleanup. It's quick, fast, and simple.

4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If my customer doesn't want to pay me for leaf cleanup then I 1) give them the option to clean the leaves up prior to each weeks cut 2) if not I run over them with hi lifts and let them fall where they may, but do try and make it look decent for them still. The way I see it even though what you did looks cool, they still got a partial leaf removal for free.

dcondon likes this.
  5. Up North

Up North LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MN

IMO if the customer is happy with the end result, which it appears they are in this case, and it didn't cost you a lot of extra time to do it then fine. Looks like you found a solution that works for them.

Personally...I'd tell her to have the kids pick up the leaves by "x" day as I'll be there to mow the following day. Then I wouldn't have to worry about the leaves at all, and the kids still get to do their share and make a couple bucks.

Buck

6. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

I think it looks good and it didnt take that long to do it besides your client is happy and thats what matters.

7. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

free leaf cleanup, call jodi

8. 1MajorTom

Don't be mad Bob that you did not think of this. A couple of circles around, and bim bam boom, the leaves are corralled. No special blades required. ;)

9. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I know the real deal here......

Bobby and Jodi sitting in a tree...K-I-S-S-I-N-G........ :p

10. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

face it, your customer declined to pay for leaf cleanup, so, not only did you clean them (for free) you made a nice little circle around her tree. i pulled up to a customer today, did the one across the street, started packing up, the other client came out, "where you going? arent you gonna do mine?" i said, "well, you said you didn't want leaf cleanup, there are leaves on the yard, if you move them, i'll cut the grass." then she wanted me to help her get down the front stairs with her walker. i said, "sorry lady, i can't , i got sh!t to do." and off i went. she calls like 2 pm, "ok, you can cut the grass, the leaves are all picked up." i said, "sorry lady, i'm done for the day, maybe tommorow." now jodi, had i known you were cleaning leaves for free, i could have sent you over