Is this aerator any good?

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by Jeffd1979, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Jeffd1979

Jeffd1979 LawnSite Member

My father in law bought this aerator last fall and i thought i would give it a shot.. It pull about 1.5 inch plugs.. i went over the lawn for a good hour and a half with this thing probably hitting each spot about 5 times.. Is this thing going to do any good or is it just a waste of time.. My lawn has only been established since sept of last year and was doing great until this summer when about 30% of it died.. i plan on overseeding soon.. what is the best method to seed.. i was planning on just seeding with a walk behind and that is it.. anything else i need to do? here is the aerator and a pic of the lawn when done

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Jeffd1979

Also how many lbs of seed do you think i should put down? My lot is .5 acres with about 1/4 of an acre that is grass.. so i really only need to cover about 5500 sq feet... would 75lbs of seed do it or should i get more?

3. mc1169

mc1169 LawnSite Member

That is not a core aerator. That looks more like a lite duty tiller or spiker. A good core aerator will pull 2-3" plugs that are 3/4" in diameter. Ryan makes a good machine and can be rented from your local home center. I rented a 21" from a local rental store and it ran me $60 + tax.

You have to watch with spikers, they often do more damage and increase soil compaction.

Matt

PS: Check out my thread called "Heavy Clover Problems", it answers most questions about fall lawn renovations (seeding, etc).

4. Jeffd1979

It accually is a core areator and does pull plugs.. not just spikes.. here are some closer pics of it and a plug it pulled

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. coachgrd

coachgrd LawnSite Member

Are spike aerators worthless? Seems like it would simply compact the soil more than aerate it.

Been looking for a used core aerator but have had no luck. Should I waste my time with a spike?

6. RichmondR

RichmondR LawnSite Member

Those look like good plugs to me -- the idea is to leave a hole in the ground that does not compact the surrounding dirt. I assume you know to put some weight on top of the unit (cinder blocks or similar -- as much as your tractors drive system can take). Without the weight, that unit will just walk on top of the turf. Many of the rental units come with water jugs to fill up and put on top to add weight.

7. Jeffd1979

Ya i bout 6 30lbs dumbbells on it.. mower was having a hard time pulling it going up hill some times... I wore that tranny on the mover out.. :p