Is this bad for my truck??

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by STIHL GUY, Nov 24, 2009.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

i have an automatic Ford Ranger 4.0 V6. i was wondering if it is bad for the engine/transmission for me to shift into low gears 1 or 2 to slow down when towing??
  2. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

look at it this way what is cheaper brakes or a transmission thats how i look at it good luck.

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

lol i was thinking that same thing the other day but wasnt sure if it was actually damaging the truck
  4. Jpeg lawn maintenance

Jpeg lawn maintenance LawnSite Bronze Member

Ya i would assume its not god for it thats small truck i woul just fan the brakes.
  5. MnGreen

MnGreen LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't be dumping it in to low other then to "start" loaded and up hill maybe.
    Slower speeds and down shift to 2nd accordingly when stopping issues arise.
  6. Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

Engine braking. The wear would be minimal on the tranny but still there. It's good for going downhills while loaded when the breaks would overheat. Just obviously don't overrev it, although it may be electronically controlled and not allow you to downshift to too low of a gear.
  7. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

No, it's not good for it at all, automatic transmission are designed to be left in the D position at ALL times,
    the gears work on bands and what you're doing is burning those bands, keep doing it and soon the whole thing
    will start to slipping and then you get to pay for a rebuild or buy another, so if you want to shift get a standard.

Now if I were you I would take it to a transmission place and get them to change the fluid and filter immediately,
    it's probably gotten contaminated with metal shavings due to the wear on those steel bands, that's if you want to play it safe.
    I change it in mine every 10k miles, religiously.

How do I know this...
    Took me a while to figure it out, but after about the 5th or 6th transmission, I had it down.

On that note you really need a bigger truck, the brakes on that puny p'up are nowhere near beefy enough.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  8. Jason'sLawnCare

Jason'sLawnCare LawnSite Member

Even when you park? Damn. I've been doing it wrong. I put it in P when I park.

Moderen automatics are a little more reliable than the feet thru the floor board you used to drive.
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  9. zabmasonry

zabmasonry LawnSite Senior Member
    from C. VT

I personally avoid the brake pedal like the plague, although i generally drive stick ( in which case i usually avoid the clutch) but when I'm in an auto I tend to usually keep it in drive, i like to drop it out of over drive to slow when coming off the highway or something of that sort, and very rarely drop it into 2 (or 3 depending on the vehicle) to slow at lower speeds.
  10. mnglocker

mnglocker LawnSite Senior Member

Not quite. Older transmissiona have far less components to break, and they weren't designed to be soft shifting sissy ride propulsion gear boxes either.

Down shifting on an auto is absolute hell on the bands and clutches. When decellerating your foot is off the throtle and no longer pulling on the Transmission's TV Cable (throtle valve) that controls line pressure... The hydraulic pressure needed by the solinoids to properly apply the band pressure needed to prevent excess slipping.

So if you like burning up the bands and heating the crap out of your transmission, be my guest, I'll even refer you to a good tranny shop that will through me some commission. :cool2: