is this being honorable?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bobbygedd, Jan 13, 2005.

1. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

we all look at our business i think, just a little different than we actually DO business with other establishments. tell me what to do here. actually, it's a done deal, but, what would you do? ok, i'm shopping for some fitness equipment for my new gym. i see a piece i want, it's $799 + $200 for delivery and setup. add tax, lets call it $1060. ok, i pay by check, set up delivery for approx 10 days later. a couple days later, i go back there to buy something else, and see the same unit, on sale, for $399, and they are offering FREE delivery and setup. i still havn't recieved my new gym equipment. do you tell the manager you want it at sale price? what do you do? is a deal a deal, just stick with the original agreement? what do you do?

2. Gautreaux's LNG

Gautreaux's LNG LawnSite Senior Member

I would get my money back and buy it at the lower price. What's unethical is him selling it to you knowing it was being marked down just a couple of days later.

If someone walked into my shop to buy a mower and I knew they went on sale in 2 days, I'd let him know.

3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

ask him if you can have the machine at the sale price, and to give you a store credit for the rest.

4. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

You can ask them when it is going on sale next and they will tell you. I don't get the connection your making here to the lawn buisness.

Most stores have a XX-day money back program where if it goes on sale they will pay you the difference.

5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what i'm saying is, i agreed to pay $1060. this was the agreement. would i be a cad if i went back on my word?

6. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

no, I do not think so. it is unethical for the business owner not to tell you that there is a sale coming up in the next few days.

7. ALarsh

from Midwest

Yes, you did agree to that price. If the store does not have a money back program, then your stuck paying that price. If the store does have a money back program, then go in there and get your money. It is the stores loss because that is a way they try to move equipment with the programs.

8. ALarsh

from Midwest

Whenever I have been in a gym equipment dealer and whenever I have asked when it goes on sale next, they always have told me and what the price is going to be. You can always ask them but don't except them to tell you not to buy it and wait until to goes on sale.

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

Noble idea, but an excellent way to get the shaft!

10. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

Bobby, the way I see it, the store knows when they're going to have a sale. For a couple days difference they should have given it to you. They are willing to sell it to the next guy on sale, right? If I were you I would CALMLY explain this to the store manager, reminding him you have not taken delivery yet. If they will give you the deal great, if not decide wether you can live with the deal you made. If you aren't happy after that, cancel the deal and the check.

The difference between our business and retail sales is we aren"t going to give away a lawn mowing or hedge trimming for half price next week. -Paul