Is this Brown Patch?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Armadillolawncare, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Armadillolawncare

Armadillolawncare LawnSite Senior Member

This house is in Texas near San Antonio. The grass is St Augustine and it has an irrigation system that waters twice a week. I am new to diagnosing lawn diseases so I want to get you guys to tell me if I am correct or not. You can see the rings. The area is always damp because it is a valley between the two houses. I first noticed the rings last year before the grass went dormant. What can I do to bring the grass back to good health? I have shut off the zone that waters that area to help it dry out and I am going to top dress the area.

Brown Patch.jpg

Brown Patch (2).jpg

2. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Is this Brown Patch???

NO

3. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

I could be, but i might be summer Patch based on the green inside the rings.It's hard to tell without being on the site.
    Summer Patch
    1. Reduce soil ph to 6.0
    2.Raise mowing height
    3.Aerate
    Brown Patch
    1.reduce Nitrogen levels
    2.Check phosphorus and potassium levels, if they are Drasticly low that can aid in the development of the fungi
    After you get the area back and plants are well establihed i'd reccomend a preventative fungicide in that particular area.
    I also don't deal with St. Augustine in my area so take what you will. LOL

4. TPLawnPro

TPLawnPro LawnSite Senior Member

I am seeing those brown circle patches a lot down here in South Louisiana. Just in the last couple of weeks they have started showing up more and more.

Wish I knew what they were?

5. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Shades of Green

It is a good thing that you don't deal with St Augustine.

6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I'm not a warm season guy, nor do I play one on television, but if it were my guess, I would guess it to be either grey leaf spot, or powdery mildew. I'd love to be able to kneel down have a close look at it!

7. Shades of Green LService

Shades of Green LService LawnSite Bronze Member

RIC, Thanks for your support. Like i said ,"its hard to tell from a picture" i was only offering my advice based on what i do in my area COOL SEASON. So instead of your "witty one liners " Tell the rest of us simpletons what the great ric thinks.

8. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

always good advise from runner

9. willietd2

willietd2 LawnSite Member
    from OHIO

shades of green, check your pm

10. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Shades of Green

I don't try and Diagnose Cool Season Turf Problem. Need I say more?

TPLawnPro

What type of turf are you seeing these spots on and do they have a Smoke Ring??? If you don't have a Pesticide License, I remember when I lived in La. they were very easy to get.