Is this business worth trouble for the long term?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by BeastMowed, Feb 19, 2014.

1. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Every Walker I've seen here is a beater usually pulled by a beater truck. Nobody has a new Walker on their trailer.
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Armsden&Son

Armsden&Son LawnSite Silver Member

Cool, thanks for the info guys...

I was just curious is all, especially since Walkers are not cheap, and getting a used Walker that will last you more than one season is still going to cost you about as much as you would pay for some of the other brands...

The industry in Florida is so confusing to me.... Seems like it has it's own little microcosm with it's own rules and norms and trends etc... There was a profile in the Walker Talk magazine about a guy working on some sort of Island in Florida and he was doing some AMAZING properties... pretty cool...

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Sure, down south there a few communities of the rich and famous. Joe Blow landscpaper isn't likely to get past the gate guard to even try though. The vast majority is stucco box subdivisions with builder quality landscapes and middle class budgets.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Salcido Lawn

Salcido Lawn LawnSite Member

I started out with a push mower out of the back of my fiancé's car. And 14 years later, I'm an overnight success! My first year I did $6000 in total revenue. In 2013, we did $1.18 million in total revenue & a total profit of $200k. In 2014, we are projecting $1.5 million in total revenue & a total profit of $300-350k
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. kemco

kemco LawnSite Senior Member

@salcido do you do residential or commercial or a mix. If commercial I'd be curious to know about how many years ago of that 14 you moved in to commercial. I'm jealous of your success.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. OneLineAtATime

OneLineAtATime LawnSite Member

I started with wheel barrow and a buddys truck.. waited a few years till i started mowing..
    Mowing is going to be your lowest profit margin... Snow and Fert is your highest then tree service (no material) but hard work..
    since 2001- looking to hit 7 figures next year.. 215k in snow this season so far..

Im burned out, still young 33 years old.. Looking to move to Florida and start a Fert company this summer..
    going to try to keep my business going here in Ohio..

I would say if your still young and can do 8 years in law or med school then do that.. This is a hard life, but i love being my own boss, live in a huge house on land, wife drives what ever German car she wants, i get a new truck every 2 years, etc. etc.

7. Salcido Lawn

Salcido Lawn LawnSite Member

We do 99% commercial. The only residential properties we have, have been with me forever, or we maintain their business also. I really focused on making the transition to strictly commercial, about 4 years ago. We now, won't even bid a resi yard. I have a few friends in the biz, that we refer them to. With commercial properties, I make 2-3x's the money, with half the hassle!! It was one if the best business decisions that I've made.
    Posted via Mobile Device