1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this common place?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jeff@SGLC.ca, Mar 26, 2005.

1. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

Ok guys, just sitting here at work today (Laudromat) and kinda bored. In my travels and looking at a lot of other jobs out there.....With larger commercial properties, plaza's, big box stores....do you guys all cut the hell out of the grass till you're pretty much walking on dirt? I can't seem to figure out why the big guys up here handling these places seem to cut the grass down to a 1/2" even though they cut it every week.
  2. pjslawncare/landscap

pjslawncare/landscap LawnSite Bronze Member

We cut at 3 1/2" in spring and 4" in summer on cool season. Dont think I have a commercial mower that will cut at 1/2"
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Pretty much the same here for us.
  4. lawnandplow42

lawnandplow42 LawnSite Senior Member

pretty much the same here, too. The lowest my mower goes down to is 1 inch, but i can't see who would use that.
  5. old dog

old dog LawnSite Member

Same here for us-with competition like that you can take over quickly!
  6. Mo Green

Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member

Cut down to 1/2 inch? Keep doing that and there won't be any grass left to cut.
  7. Jeff@SGLC.ca

The 1/2" was an exageration (spelt wrong?) but a few of them seem to butcher the grass into nothingness. August rolls around and they are out there mowing pretty much nothing...just going through the paces. Maybe come supper I'll go take my measuring tape and see if I'm way off or not.
  8. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

Actually we spray the entire lawn with vinegar every month that way we don't have to use any equipment...and yes we still charge for 5 visits a month... payup
  9. Jeff@SGLC.ca