1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this Common?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Tommy Boy, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Tommy Boy

Tommy Boy LawnSite Member

I have several commercial accounts and have been gaining strength. I have been working on a bid, when the property maintenance manager (overseas and approves landscape vendors) asks me about a management appreciation program. I look at him as if he has three heads, he explains that in order to “get the contract” I need to “kick” some back under that table as in a gift card each month to one of three places he likes to shop. I expect this to be about 5 to 10 percent of the contract. Yes, I bid high, and I have the wiggle room to make it work and still make a profit (over 100K per year), but what a scum bag. Is this common? He’s works for a private company so public corruption is not an issue. I guess you have to pay to play. I have contract in hand, what are your thoughts?*trucewhiteflag*
  2. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Unfortunately this is more common than we care to admit. Sometimes it's cash, maybe maintenance on their personal property, but often some type of gratuity for the property or facilities manager for continued contracts or an expansion of your projects and duties. Most are reasonable requests and are worth your cooperation, sometimes, your better off moving on.

3. gramps

gramps LawnSite Member

Tell him to kiss off. Lazy *astered
  4. PaulJ

PaulJ LawnSite Bronze Member

It's called a bribe. private or public it's still a bribe. I wouldn't want to work for someone that would expect that. But if you can work that into the bid and are OK with it, then????
  5. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Years ago when I worked another company we were asked to "volunteer" our services to the owner of the management co. to keep getting work. One time there had to be 8 different landscape cos. doing work at one time.
  6. A Leaf Above

A Leaf Above LawnSite Member

Its called business , And it happens alot. The big companies dont get big by
    doing a good job only . Its the price of doing business.
  7. gammon landscaping

gammon landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

ethics are a full time commentment. if you have to pay for work you are in the wrong buisness. i bet if you give 10% this time it will be more next year. this is not "just doing business"

the right thing is always right
    and wrong is always wrong

you are ripping off the property owner, and that is wrong

the right thing to do here is agree sign the contract, then tell him sorry i lied i bet he doesn't do much cause you have leverage now
  8. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have never dealt with someone that requested something to get the contract but I have given someone services. He voluntarily pushed my bid to the top in the HOA and highly recommended me. I won the bid and gave him a free cut on his personal property but he didn't ask for anything...
  9. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

He still accepted it though...:nono:
  10. wardtom084

wardtom084 LawnSite Member

I disagree. A bribe is ilegal. This is not ilegal. It is business. I have tought about doing the same at one of the local grocery stores that have a lot of mowing. Figured I would ask them this next year. I would cut it for the same amount but give the manager 20 dollars per cut just to get the job.