1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this correct fertilizer application?

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by bblawncare, Feb 2, 2008.

1. bblawncare

bblawncare LawnSite Member

I want to ask you guys who do this all the time if these pics display correct fertilizer application. To me, it seems like a whole lot of fert in one small area. I have seen this kind of application around shrubs on several of my properties recently-all applied by "big" fert companies.

2. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Wow, that's just straight ignornace and stupidity. Plan on whatever is around those piles, especially the poor plants that they are directly ON to be dead. There's no amount of water that would dissolve that and not burn the roots.

I've seen people around here do that too, though homeowners not professionals. Just makes me cringe to see it, and then I watch the leaves burn off in the next few weeks. Whats even better is when that pile of fert is close to the lawn. So there's a big dead spot in the turf surrounded by insane growth and green turf... Even more amazing is that after all that damage the same homeowner will do the same thing the next year... Some people are just too stupid for words.
  3. bug-guy

bug-guy LawnSite Senior Member

i have always tried to apllied fert to shrubs and trees as a ring around the trunk(not touching, but still under the canopy) drip ring
    when ground cover exsist there, we would either use spikes or drill holes and fill.
    some times when dealing with hedge rows we would use a lesco spreader(usaully at a low rate and walk backwards with it shooting out only one side) making sure none went into the shrub itself.
  4. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

give a copy of those pics to your customer so they will be able to put in a claim for the dead shrubs.
  5. bblawncare

Doesn't too much fert also cause a crazy flush of growth that is not healthy for the plants? The reason I ask these questions is that I will get my my limited cert license at the next available test date and I want to start offering these services to my customers, but I want to do it RIGHT and not just do it to make extra money or create more problems. (I had my limited license in 04, but let it expire because I was not "using" it-I was a mow, blow and go company back then). I am tired of these big companies coming on to my properties, spending next to no time at all, throwing around this or that, and collecting pay for jobs that are incorrect. I say this with no disrespect to you guys who own your own companies and take the time needed to do the job correctly for your customers.
  6. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Yes, an overapplication, say 2 to 3 times the recommended rate, as long as the plants are watered well, will cause a flush of growth.

The applications in the pictures are about 25 times the label rate... (or more) and should really be scooped up so it dosn't disolve anymore and do more damage than it already has.
  7. vegomatic40

vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6

I'm with J. Rose... While we have no idea what the analysis is on that particular fertilizer it is without question over/improperly applied. Use a shop vac. to try to get as much up as possible to minimize potential damage ASAP! Then keep your fingers crossed this doesn't look good at all.
  8. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

this has to be a joke. Is that the gravel stuff from the bottom of a fishtank--
  9. bblawncare

Absolutely no joke!! This was done in more than one spot on my customers property and it was done by perhaps this areas largest pest control company. I just did not take pics of all the heavy places. This same company last summer, put something on the lawn in the front that yellowed the lawn and caused it to not grow at all for over 3 weeks (completely stunted it during our rainy season when grass grows like crazy). As a matter of fact, you could see a distinct line from the side yard to the front where the side was green and growing, but the front was discolored and not growing at all. I pointed this out to my customer and when they called the pest control company, even the "supervisor" said he did not know what happened. He said maybe it was a fungus or something. After about a month or so, the grass started to recover. This customer has said to me before, "am I gonna have to fire them and hire you to do this stuff right?" I have declined because I cannot do all of the services they provide.

I have also seen this kind of fertilizer app by a different company on some of my other properties.:realmad:
  10. PHS

PHS LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good idea. I occasionally have customers who do that trying to "help out" and I usually just use a scoop or shovel but the vac would work better if I have very many to do.