Is this correct?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by JLC, Mar 6, 2002.

1. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Let me be sure of this before I go saying it. Weed control does have an effect on the turfgrass when applied to it, just not enough when used in correct amounts to kill it. Right? I'm trying to make a case for spot treatment. I can't justify blanket apps of weed control on a clean lawn that I've got growing well with granular slow release ferts. My logic is while weed control in a blanket application wont kill desirable turfgrass, it doesn't help it grow, i.e. it will stunt or reduce the health. Am I correct in this statement.
  2. ohiolawnguy

ohiolawnguy LawnSite Senior Member

my simple answer to your question would be no, it doesn't stunt the growth, otherwise, companies wouldnt use large tank sprayers to blanket entire lawns. of course i could be wrong. but, these chemicals have been formulated by chemical companies to kill the undesirable weeds, while not affecting the performance of the turf.

for the most part, we spot spray almost all of our lawns, instead of the blanket spray.

while there are chemicals available to regulate turfgrass growth, i dont know of many who use them. they can be tricky to use, and can produce disastrous results if not applied proerly.

also, i have heard of some companies who actually put very small amounts of non-selective herbicide into their tank sprayers to slow the growth of turfgrass
    like 2 oz. to each ten gallons. i wouldnt suggest it though.

sorry if im rambling on and changing the main topic. just throwing out some various thoughts and ideas that i know of and been told about.
  3. tremor

tremor LawnSite Bronze Member

Healthy & vigorous desirable cool season turf won't exhibit phyto symptoms from properly selected & applied herbicides. But.....
    Bent grass will turn to toast at nominal rates of some herbicides. Confront slams bents pretty hard at nominal rates. Acclain & Ester forms of 2,4-d are rough on Bents too. Creeping Red Fescue doesn't like any herbicides if it's getting warm. Blues & Fescues with Leaf Spot will usually get worse after being treated with 2,4-d.
    Rate, formulation, active ingredient choice, species & cultivars of turf, environmental stresses, & the presence of other disease stresses will all influence the possibility of phyto.

With respect to PGR's. I like & use Primo here at the house. 3-4 times per year @.75oz/M. On test plots I treated a few years ago at 4x, there was no phyto until we added drought stress to the mix. We might surmise that the Primo caused the stress. But it didn't. Drought was responsible on all the areas observed. I just don't have enough good things to say about Primo. The cost of applying a good PGR is nothing compared to trying to manage the cost of trying to keep up with a healthy stand of Blues & Ryes that are jumping out of the ground after 1 lb. of soluble N in May. Now lesser PGR's like Embark are very touchy & you couldn't pay me to use them again. The older PGR's are worse than herbicides.

MATTHEW LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE OHIO

Use this as a selling point. Tell them that you are environmentally conscious and only blanket when needed. At my home lawn, I have only done one blanket app. in 9 years and I live across from a large park with tons of weeds. If the lawn is thick, you do not have to do it. If the customer expects 100% weed free lawn, then just do it.
  5. JLC

JLC LawnSite Senior Member
    from IA

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be carefull of how I communicate a lower use of pesticide. Thanks.
  6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

Bottom Line

Spot treatments works for me. Best weed control is healthily turf. Proper fert and water makes healthily turf.

*********I. P. M.
    I Pay Money for chemicals

Racheal Carson and AL Gore will love you.