Is this customer gone for good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by David Haggerty, Apr 4, 2006.

1. This morning I drove out to a customer's plant to see if the lawn needed mowing yet. It didn't so I went to check in in at the office because they hadn't responded to my voice mail message.

The receptionist said, "We have a new general manager, and he will be taking bids for the lawn. I could leave a card and they would call."

My jaw dropped! I'd been mowing their lawn for most of 20 years!
    I didn't even have a card with me. I left a ball point pen with my name & number on it. And clipped it to a postit note saying I'd like to continue servicing their lawn.

What am I supposed to do? Bid against my own price?

Dave

2. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Yep, and the sad thing is with all the Murray lawn tractors running around out there being pulled by their wifes mini-van that think they are making "extra money" but in reality they don't even know their cost of running even that Murray, you'll have to drop your own price by 25% or more probably to "win" it back.

3. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Ah... yeah,
    Count that one gone.

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

It's crazy, every year everything costs more, but in this crazy industry we have to charge less to keep/get work......nothing sane about this industry, simply put...people look at this industry as a mob of yobbos running around undercutting each other for beer money. it is so much about price, not quality or value for money, I think basically people just don't respect this industry, simple as that.

after 20 years of good service some new goose wants new bids.....bloody rude, disrespectful, providing of course your work was good, fair price etc which I imagine it was or the last manager would of acted on it.

be nice to see some of these 'softies' get out and try to run a biz in this game, yeh right! lol.

Godd luck with it Dave!

5. lowballer17

lowballer17 LawnSite Member

Hey, Australia boy,
    Quit yer complaining, you have no cheap sources of labor pouring across your borders. So ya got a couple middle eastern types pushing some mowers, big deal.

6. Tonyr

ha ha ha.....you may be surprised actually lol.

mowing would be the most saturated disrespected form of earning money in this country, every man and his mutt are cutting for beer money, no we don't have the mexicans, but we have everything else, all loving our climate, all loving cutting grass, just like in your country.

difference is, in your country mowing is a service most people want/need, over here the balance is wrong, many do it themselves, only get you when their mower breaks, takes a lot to build a client list of reggies, and no contracts here, what I read on this forum makes me want to move to America, you guys have it so good in comparison.....not sure about that snow stuff though lol.

7. Tonyr

ooops, sorry, hey, yanky boy, it ain't the mowers the middle eastern guys are pushin, it's them things that go bang and boom and cause lots of blood n stuff that worries me about em ha ha ha. doubt many would bother mowing for a living, most imports from countries like Asia incl middle east etc deal more in drugs, extorsion, prostitution etc, certainly not dirty dusty cheap mowing grass. haaaaaaaaaaa

8. Thanks to all for the replies.

This wasn't any gravy job. Something over two acres to be mowed but it's cut up into half a dozen little sections. They have a couple of retention ponds to mow around, a thousand feet of chain link fence, and the back yard is so rough I've had the 4wheeled drive mower stuck there. It paid a hundred bucks per cut.

I figure they're history as a client. It just really gripes me the cowardly way they treated me. This new general manager don't even know me.

I just hope he gets the kind of lawn crew he really deserves.

Dave

9. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yet another situation that happens to me every year on commercial accounts. MANAGEMENT CHANGES. Just found out yesterday that I lost another one to that. Most of the time these are silent unexpected losses for me too. When the change occurs the new manager never has the balls to tell you that you're AXED in favor of his friend, family member or the lowest bidder available.

10. old dog 80

old dog 80 LawnSite Member

That's why I prefer high end residential