1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this Dallis or Crab Grass? Need Help

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by cbarone, May 9, 2007.

1. cbarone

cbarone LawnSite Member

What type of weed is this?

I need some recommedations on the procedure for getting rid of this type of weed? What do you think of Drive, Acclaim or Green Light MSMA Crabgrass killer. The latter says it takes care of Dallis and Crabgrass and can be ordered online?

Will any of this stuff yellow my lawn or kill it? I have read many people putting liquid iron in their mix.

Thanks alot of your help.

Chris B.

2. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Doesn't look like crabgrass. This lawn is too thin. Is it a new lawn? Is there any chance it was started with a wheat straw mulch? Is it wheat?
  3. cbarone

cbarone LawnSite Member

This lawn is new over the past few years, new property. I dont think its wheat.
  4. RAlmaroad

RAlmaroad LawnSite Silver Member
    from SC

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

can you get a picture of the seed head?
  6. cbarone

cbarone LawnSite Member

Its a fescue, rye mix...Scotts Premium Blend. I am in PA by the way. Someone in another forum said it might be Johnson grass, it looks more like this than Orchardgrass.
  7. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

does not look like dallis grass at all, a pic of a seed head would help
  8. grassguy_

grassguy_ LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

looks like Timothy or Johnson Grass, from the growth that can be seen. A closer pic might be able to distiguish better. By the way, NICE PATIO too, lol.
  9. americanlawn

americanlawn LawnSite Fanatic
    from midwest

Orchard grass??
  10. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Sure does not look like crabgrass to me but I can't help you on what it is.