Is this design OK to present?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by spitfire3416, Oct 29, 2012.

1. spitfire3416

spitfire3416 LawnSite Senior Member

One of my customers asked me to come up with a design for a section in his backyard. I told him I'm not really a designer but I could draw something up for him. This is what I came up with, but I feel really insecure presenting this to him cause it looks like a 10 year old drew it up..

IMG_2306.jpg

IMG_2313.jpg

2. alldayrj

alldayrj LawnSite Gold Member

throw some official labels on it

3. bj1bmx

bj1bmx LawnSite Member
    from NJ

thats 100x better than some that i have presented and still gotten the job...

most clients, especially if they are existing customers, just want to make sure that you are pretty close to being on the same page as they are before the work begins. most are not looking for an elaborate computer generated design...

i'd just label the plants somehow and present it.

4. spitfire3416

alright thanks..

i want to put a small tree by the backyard opening on the left side but can't decide what would look goo there. i was thinking some time of a japanese maple. any suggestions?

5. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

It gets the message across. I don't think it is necessary to label it. This way you can explain what they represent which makes you just as important as the piece of paper. If you label it, he can ask others for pricing.

6. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

Looks pretty good, don't forget to Bill him for your design work
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. spitfire3416

thanks for the feedback guys.. i added a little more to it and labeled it as well

8. AGLA

Don't be afraid to add shadows.

IMG_2313.jpg

9. AGLA

Shading helps, too.

IMG_2313.jpg

10. AGLA

Another easy thing to do to make it a little sharper is to use different line thicknesses (known as line hierarchy) on different items. They should be black with finer tipped pens for finer lines and broader pens or felt tips for fatter lines. Buildings tend to look best with a very fat line, eges of walks with a nedium, and most plants with a fine line, but different plants look better with different line thicknesses. A coarse leafed plant like a rhododendron could be with a fatter line while a more delicate plant could be an ultra-thin line.
    The light, shade, and shadow give you a third dimension, the line hierarchy makes it crisp. These techniques work regardless of your drawing talent.