Is this dishonest?

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by RyanA97, Apr 14, 2014.

1. TheLugNutZ

TheLugNutZ LawnSite Senior Member

so did it end up being 5 or 10 to 15 yards of mulch?

2. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

I haven't done many mulch jobs myself.. but my concern with the cheap mulch would be what happens if the customer isn't satisfied with that mulch? You may end up having a hard time collecting payment, or have to spend time getting things right for the customer just to get paid. As mentioned by others in this thread.. I'd also just take it on the chin and do it right and call it a lesson learned. Doing a good quality job the right way can open doors for refferals..

3. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

A company here learned the hard way about Free mulch from the dump. He was sued by his customer for bringing in termites. I had go remove it 2 days after he installed it and it was full termites I set it on fire. The pest guy sprayed all the beds then I installed rock and installed termite traps

4. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

Don't do it, it looks like sh*** within a month or so, attracts bugs, and breaks down real fast. Using that mulch is like towing your equipment with a Geo metro your not going to look professional.

5. A. W. Landscapers  Inc.

A. W. Landscapers Inc. LawnSite Bronze Member

To answer your question, yes...If you promised to install bagged mulch, it would be dishonest to install anything besides bagged mulch.

6. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Wait. You were only going to make $150 on your original quote of mulching cleanup and grass cut down? It wouldnt be worth your time to begin with. Just learn from your mistakes and charge more next time but do the job right this time
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. Will P.C.

Will P.C. LawnSite Senior Member

You end up with a review on yelp stating "paid for 45 bags of quality mulch and owner put down low grade free mulch from the recycle yard

8. TheLugNutZ

TheLugNutZ LawnSite Senior Member

This.. I mean for just laying out 5 yards of mulch, you should be charging closer to $175 I would think. Not even considering time spent on the other stuff...

9. McG_Landscaping

McG_Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

I know it all depends on the area, but just mulch labor would be 250+ ($50-$75 / yard for labor) and then the cleanup based on your hourly rate after that. I know that I can make money with one other guy at $75/hour for cleanups

10. wildstarblazer

wildstarblazer LawnSite Senior Member

45 bags of shredded hard wood or shredded pine bark from Lowes should only be about $140. You can't spread 45 bags by yourself ? Even with a helper should go real quick and you should come out without losing too bad.