1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this engine big enough...

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by metro36, Oct 21, 2006.

1. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

Is a 15 hp kohler single big enough to power a exmark tthp 48. It is a floating deck hydro drive machine.
  2. metro36

Bump.... Anybody
  3. Mr.Mow-It-All

Mr.Mow-It-All LawnSite Senior Member

Well you don't seem to be getting any help today I have noticed a couple of your threads. Sorry but I really don't have an answer for you. Good luck
  4. metro36

My last couple threads stuck out!!!
  5. bligh61

bligh61 LawnSite Member

Plenty of horsepower
  6. DaughtryLC

DaughtryLC LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 15hp on a 48in snapper, It works fine!
  7. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

i agree. i have a 15hp 48" bobcat and it cuts just fine. bogs a little in tall thick grass but you shouldn't be cutting that stuff anyway.
  8. lazer 46

lazer 46 LawnSite Senior Member

My first walk behind mower was a 15 horse Kawi Exmark tthp. I used it a couple years and I was very pleased with it. I buy new every couple years and am now running the 17hp tthp and buying another in the spring. I like as much power as possible but you have to be realistic also and realize the mower's limitations.
  9. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

If you are just side discharging you should be fine. If you are mulching in thick wet heavy stuff it may be lacking.

We have two 48" SCAG HYDRO WB's with 17 kawi's. It's enough power to pull us the the sulky and still cut. But, the mulcher seems to bog down a bit.
  10. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

15hp on a 48" cut is fine. You shouldnt have any problem.