is this enogh horsepower?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by green thum, May 27, 2005.

1. green thum

green thum LawnSite Member

I am buying a 60" toro ztr with a 23 horse kohler with the z-stand for $7250.00.My question is should i buy the 27 horse kohler for an additional 700.00 plus $199.00 for the z-stand?(It is now an potion on the mower,not standard equip)

2. Cigarcop

Cigarcop LawnSite Member

Your thought was running through my head today. I have a 60 Lazer with a 23hp Kawasaki and its a great machine but it does labor at times. I would get the bigger motor personally.

3. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I just bought a 23 hp 61" bobcat and have had no problem with lack of power. I guess a little more power is usually good, but $700 is alot more money. By the way I paid $6550 plus tax

4. aclassic

aclassic LawnSite Member

i have a 22hp kohler on my 52 walkbehind, so i would figure that is about 2.3 deck inches per hp, and about 32 lbs. per hp.i have tons of power and never regret getting this much power.
    i would think your ztr w/ rider would be about 1500 lbs, so at 23 hp it would be 2.6 deck inches per hp and 65 lbs. per hp.
    so if you upgraded to the 27 hp it would be 2.2 deck inches per hp, and 55.5 lbs. per hp.

you will always be wanting more w/ the lesser hp, especially w/ spring growth, and mowing when wet, or any hills, or just to brag about how many hp your mower has.

5. Kelly's Landscaping

Kelly's Landscaping LawnSite Platinum Member

I bog down my 27 I want to go bigger then that next mower will be a 31hp Lazer XS

6. BryPaulD

BryPaulD LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

Get the bigger one, and then tear out the engine and put a V-10 on it with some chrome hooker headers and a B&M slapshifter ta boot. We'll show that bad ol' grass what's up, eh?

7. ToroLandscaper

ToroLandscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

The toro dealer here has a 60" Zmaster with the zstand and 27 Hp for $7200.00. I bought a 52" with a 27 Hp form there and i would say go with the 27Hp and not the 23......but thats just me you might not be cuttin really high grass or be in places you bog down another thing is towing you can tow more with a 27Hp....If i were you i would go for the 27Hp !!

8. Green Pastures

Green Pastures LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 52" with a 25 hp Kohler that is pretty good. Get the more powerful motor.

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

23hp Kohlers aren't the most spunky engines out there. Their torque is pretty low.

Definately go with the 27hp unless you continuously want to ease back the drive levers when hitting heavy patches of grass or climbing slight hills.

I have a 27hp LC Kawi and long for more every day.

10. fel

fel LawnSite Member
    from Jax Fl

Long term I would get the bigger hp, you won't regret it.. I opted for a smaller engine because of the extra cash, and have been wishing I went bigger ever since..