1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this enough power?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ple_1969, Feb 10, 2004.

1. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

A local dealer has a 2000 Turf Tracer HP with the 48” deck for a good price. The only drawback is that it has the Kawasaki 15 HP for the 17. Is the 15hp enough for this Hydro?

2. Turfdude

Turfdude LawnSite Bronze Member

IMHO, for a hydro (especially if going w/ velke) I'd spend the extra $$$$ (400 or so) for the 17 HP
  3. rkbrown

rkbrown LawnSite Senior Member

I agree with TurfDude
  4. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

There is actually a $1,000 difference. This is a leftover model that is 2 years old, never used, and still sitting in his showroom. I am looking to get this for my one acre lot, non-commerical use.

5. hole in one lco

hole in one lco LawnSite Bronze Member

It should be ok for you but if you have any intention's of cutting full time. I wouldn't purchase any thing less then a 17hp for a hydro.
  6. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

That's what I've been reading which is probably why it's still there. Is is also why I've posted here.

I won't go full time, this is just for my personal use.

7. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

14hp is fine for 48” especially for personal use. Not to nit-pick, but how can a model year 2000 mower only be two years old? Wish you could do that trick on my eXmark, it’s a ’99. This is 2004, a ’00 is 4 years old. If the price is good get it. A friend had a 48” TTHP with a 14hp Kohler, two wheel sulky and a mulch kit. I used it and it did a great job. This was early fall so there were a few stray leaves (that disappeared with the Micro Mulch kit) but the growth was not real tall and thick. I think if you were discharging with single blades you’d be fine even with a sulky. Awesome little mowers!
  8. ple_1969

ple_1969 LawnSite Member

... What, its not 2002 any more??? Ha, well I guess the more is 4 years old. Don't know where my head was. Thanks for the reply, this is what I was looking for.

9. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Like i said in the pm, for a home owner your fine. I'm going to play with a 15kaw on a 48" metro hp this season. what i'm going to use it for it will be more than enough. If you do a search on the 15 kaw, its been said from a member that has both the 15 and 17 he said he sees no difference!.
    Here is the metro to show you im not kidding.

10. stslawncare

stslawncare LawnSite Bronze Member
    from DE

for personal use on 1 acre that should be good. if u get more lawns i would get bigger. its a good mower