Is this enough?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by grassyfras, Dec 6, 2003.

1. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Im going to go community college next year and get a a degree in Hort. and take some small business courses. I'm hoping to maybe get a part time job with landscaper and do my mowing on the side. Do you think that will be enough experience after 2 years to go out on my own and start a small landscaping company? What else do I need? Thanks guys

2. rookiemower

rookiemower LawnSite Senior Member

hey im doing the same, already started school last year (community college) i just started my biz this year i started taking hort classes and i already have a few biz classes completed. next quarter im taking design classes the only thing im worried about is when i transfer out next year. school will now be hour from my home and my costumers, looks like ill be doing alot of traveling
    good luck to you and your biz:cool2: :cool2:

3. grassyfras

grassyfras LawnSite Bronze Member

Thanks and good luck to you too

4. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

After getting my degree in Horticulture i thought about working for another landscaper for a few years to get more experience before i started on my own, except the fact that i already had more knowledge than most of the landscapers in the area. So i said screw working for someone else and went right into my own business and never looked back again after 3 years.

5. AccuScapes

AccuScapes LawnSite Member
    from NC

Ditto! I have found the same to be true. It's basically "time". In one year alone, you'll learn a lot about everything from pricing, selling yourself, etc. Good luck to ya!