Is this equipment good to start off with?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by slicknick, Feb 11, 2010.

1. slicknick

slicknick LawnSite Member
    from Ohio

Hey guys. First of all, I just want to say how awesome this site is! This year, I plan on becoming a legal company--now that im 18 and no longer just cutting the neighbors lawns I really want to be offical. Id just like some input from you guys who truly know your stuff about equipment to start off with. Im in the process of buying a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500, and I need a trailer along with other equipment. I found this on ebay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-36-HYDRO-WA...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5885af7ae2

Just wondering if the brand is any good, if its reliable and if anyone uses the same equipment. Also, whats your take on the price of this "NEW" equipment? Is this just a low quality mower and package? Should I just buy used equipment? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. shawn d

shawn d LawnSite Senior Member

You are going to want to stay away from Redhawk, For that price you should be able to purchase a nice Exmark and used trailer.

Just my $.02

3. slicknick

from Ohio

Thanks for your advice. So Exmark is a pretty good company i'm assuming? Ill put some research into exmark mowers around my area.

4. shawn d

shawn d LawnSite Senior Member

Yeah I would look into them if you are wanting to get into a walk behind mower, they have a great product
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS LawnSite Fanatic

slick - also check out Better Outdoor Products line of walk behind mowers.
    They are running a great special right now. I own one of their single hydro units and really like it. 3 yrs old now.

6. slicknick

from Ohio

Thanks, Im checking them out now online!

7. jmullins6987

jmullins6987 LawnSite Member

36" redhawk hydro on ebay $2199 how can you beat that?

8. Manscape

Manscape LawnSite Member
    from Mass

I know everyone hates redhawks for a variety of differen reasons but I got my redhawk 36 hydro for $1999 @ smallenginewarehouse.com.......and last time I checked they still had 7 in stock. I'll let you know when it shits the bed on me.

9. travski

travski LawnSite Member

Quick mowers are good. I swear mine is built like a tank and takes some abuse. You can pick your deck size and type of engine... (kind of makes it nice for new guys with low capital.) they are a perfect entry into the large wb market.

10. jmullins6987

jmullins6987 LawnSite Member

the guy on ebay with the 36" hydro redhawk said that he would deliver up to 100 miles free and the mower would be fully setup and serviced when he dropped if off. He said that the redhawk comes in a steel crate and it takes a good 2 hours to cut out and fully assemble because they come unassembled when you get them. I think its a good deal no?