is this ethical?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ince8728, Dec 21, 2004.

1. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

OK so i know that this has been a subject a few times this year but... I charge $60 an hr for leaves, should I charge for an hr even if it takes less than an hr, like a 1hr minimum. Also, if it is me and 3 other guys should I charge the same if I only have 2 other workers (along with me)?

- Matt
  2. ztoro

ztoro LawnSite Senior Member

an hr minimum is exceptable.

I charge 40-50 per person per hour......
  3. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

always charge a minimum one hour charge. that will cover your drive time there.

most plummers, electricians, have a $65.00 for the first half hour then $65.00/hr thereafter. (numbers are arbitrary).

always round up.
    you'll eat enough of your time in other ways.
  4. richard coffman

richard coffman LawnSite Senior Member

i charge $60.00 an hour for landscape maintenance, but i figure out how much the total job cost will be and give them the final quote. it's up to me to make sure i have the job done within that time or sooner. smart planning will have you come out ahead. now if i go to a lawn and can't mow it due to gate locked, or dog out, and customer isn't home, i charge a $10.00 show up fee, and then will have it rescheduled the next free time i have, but have it confirmed with the customer first. Now if i have 2 weeks of growth on a lawn, it'll take me more time to complete the job and so I'll charge what it would cost the customer 2 weeks of mowing for that cut. i make it where customers don't walk all over my company. just need to keep boundry's up.

Richard/Owner :D :D :D
  5. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

When I go to the mechanic he will usually charge at least one hour or will bill you in a quarter hour increment. Let's say all you need is a headlight bulb replaced and it takes him 5 min. he would charge you a quarter hour labor. Most service industry people seem to charge at least a half hour for most work under an hour. I think you're justified in doing that.
  6. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I charge $60 an hour with a 1 hour minimum. Next year those rates will go to $70 with a $70 minimum and a $10 dump fee on top of that. I can do about 8-10 lawns before dumping. Dump fee is only $25, but I have to bill the time it take to do that....which happens to be around another I think it is fair.
  7. nitrotim

nitrotim LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I have a WOLF Commercial Range Oven in my house and I needed one of the igniters fixed on the gridle part. Only WOLF certified technicians can work on them and they charge Min. 85 service charge weather they fix it or not.
  8. mowboy1

mowboy1 LawnSite Member

In my experience I think an hour minimum charge is fair. However, the rate should vary with the number of people on your crew.

The best system is to quote results and not time, as the post from richard coffman noted. Give them a price for the completed job. Your customers will not be watching the clock plus there is incentive for you to work more efficiently and get the job done faster (without cutting corners though!).

Have you tried this system? If not, give it a try... it's very effective.

All the best!
  9. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

yup, charge the minimum, even if it only takes you 10 mins
  10. ince8728

ince8728 LawnSite Member

yea, what i will prob do 4 nxt year is I will charge a $30 base rate & $10 an hr for each additional man/hr.