Is this feasable or am i just CRAZY!?!?!?!?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eric_lco, May 30, 2006.

?

CRAZY? or POSSIBLE?

1. Crazy

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  2. Possible

24 vote(s)
    63.2%
  1. Eric_lco

Eric_lco LawnSite Member

Last year i shut down and sold everything...got sick of it, but now i relize i really enjoyed it, and want to start up again. Probably next season though, too late for this one. So an idea hit me when i decided to start up again. Here it is: What if instead of fighting for competive prices, you are the MOST expensive in your area? For example if the average going price of a lawn is $25 you charge $50 or even $60. Of course you would need the superior service to allow the rediculus prices, but would it be feasable? Not only would it cut down on the number of lawns needed to make the same money, but you would also get the best clients by being selective, and working in the nicer ends of town only. I aknowlege it would probably be hard starting off, not having a reputation, but once it got rolling, wouldn't it work? I mean if someone wants a nice car and has money, do they buy a nissan, chevy or ford? Hell no. They turn right to the nice, and known ones: Rolls Royce, BMW, Porsche, Jaguire, Mustang. Well, you guys get the idea. Let me know what you think. Is it feasable, or am i just out of my mind??? Any Positive feedback as well as harsh criticism is thankfully appreciated. Even if its just a sentence or two. Let me know where you guys stand.

Thankyou in advance.

2. Scag413

Scag413 LawnSite Bronze Member

I actually think once you got started it would work pretty good. You would obviously have to be in a very nice area where people care about there lawns and are willing to pay for the service that they would want. I think you have a good idea going.

3. Jay's Lawncare

Jay's Lawncare LawnSite Member

I think that it is definitely possible. It will, perhaps, be slow starting off, but I think that you will gain the reputation of serving the "elite", sort of like how the rich and famous will only use certain hairdressers. It is my honest opinion that if you have the time and patience needed to make this idea work, you will be very pleased with the outcome $$$$$........Jay

4. Idealtim

Idealtim LawnSite Senior Member

Startup is going to be a *****. And I know that people dont like having the prices jacked up over a long time, with you, it can almost be promised! And I also know that some overpay for somethings because if they pay alot, it must be better than average. Might work, not around my nieghborhood though.

5. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

I think if you marketed your services as premium service and targeted the right clientele it would work. If I were going that route I would name the business something that conveys you are a premium service. Something like Prestige Landscape, Premium Landscape, Diamond Landscaping, Estate Lawn and Landscape. I am sure you can come up with something better, but you get the idea.
    I think that if you are going this route image is VERY important, you will need nice new vehicles, uniforms for the employees, etc.....
    JMO, hope it helps.

6. ALarsh

ALarsh LawnSite Silver Member
    from Midwest

I have a hard time seeing it work just starting off. Most people think cutting a lawn is cutting a lawn, no matter who does it. When people buy an expensive car, they are buying a status symbol. There is no status symbol for lawn care.

Now being established and raising prices, I could see that.

7. JJLandscapes

JJLandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

the difference between a nissan and a rollyroyce is far greater than any service you can possibly do to anyone on there lawn( not just your company but 99.99% of landscapers inlcding myself)

People who want a nicer lawn will find a different company sometimes more money sometimes a cheaper company does a better job but they will pay maybe 10-20% more i dont think anyone in the world will pay 100% more than what they are currently paying... they might but then realize you are a waste of money when they can save $25 a week for having a lawn that is 1% worse

Most people we go up to like neigbors say i have had the same guy for 30 years theres no reason to switch or the rest are looking for cheapest price

8. wrtenterprises

wrtenterprises LawnSite Senior Member

It works guys, trust me. I've made a very comfortable living catering to high-end clientele. It takes years to build the reputation, but I only have 30-35 all inclusive accounts we work on. It's been (7) years now, and every season I pick-up customers and charge more than the previous LCO. I would rather have 30 $5,000.00 accounts than 60 $2,500.00 accounts......

As for advertising, no need. Economy downturn, no problem. Gas price pinch, who cares. These folks make big dough. Everyday financial issues do not exist for this type of customer. Most of all, you must exceed their expectations every time you are on the property. The money is there, you just need to know where to look......

9. BillWil

BillWil LawnSite Member

I know of one in the Chicago are, he uses only 21's and does a really nice job. Edges and trims each cut, blows out the flower beds then mows and bags everything. He does charge a premium, but his customers are loyal. He started out about 15 years ago and progressed into this as his business.

10. ITRY

ITRY LawnSite Member
    from KY

The idea seems to work for high end building contractors.