Is this for real? Its gotta be a joke!

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by mattfromNY, Jan 18, 2008.

1. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

2. David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

Either it works or it is fraud on a pretty massive scale. It looks like they sell about 4-6 per month, and no negative feedback. read the posts on ebay, and people seem to be gushing, and even surprised it works. I am trying to figure it out in my head. jack up both sides of drive wheels. remove wheel. mount big screw. wheel chock front wheels. start vehicle and put in drive. push firewood against big screw. big screw threads in and splits wood. if wood does not split, remove hands from spinning firewood chunk of death...I really need to see a video of this thing working.

3. I saw that years ago, but didn't know they still made them. On another note I was at tractor supply store and saw a wood splitter that had a regular hydraulic jack that you pump by hand, thats got to be a real production machine if you don't wear out first from all the pumping.

4. integrityman

integrityman LawnSite Bronze Member

Ive seen these on the internet too....and umm, ah, gotta think this is really dangerous......imagine getting a piece of loose clothing caught on this, the wood spinning and banging against your vehicle, loosing your balance and falling against the corkscrew....the whole set up just seems diabolical. Im getting a vision of trying to split a forked log......or picture trying to break apart some nasty, stringy piece of elm......I'm very skeptical.

5. capelawncare.com

capelawncare.com LawnSite Fanatic

there is a saying in the car business. there is an ass for seat, and a seat for every ass.

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You have to watch it with Ebay, there's always been quite a bit of snake oil for sale.
    I suppose it's done for 'educational' purposes, not sure.

7. DBL

DBL LawnSite Silver Member

pretty wild set up for splitting wood....theres better ways

8. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

Ha, that's funny. Personally that's alot of work to go through to split some wood. I'd rather just pull a cord and hit a lever.

9. mattfromNY

mattfromNY LawnSite Bronze Member

LMAO :laugh:
    When I saw this thing, I thought the same thing. I just split a bunch of hard maple that was 40-50 inches in diameter (using a verticle splitter). I am imagining bolting up one of these screws onto the 2500HD, then maybe 'power sliding' into one of those chunks, and see what happens. I can only imagine the devastation. :laugh::laugh:

10. big acres

big acres LawnSite Member

I did a search on google and their sight has a video -apparently it works well. The safety shut off is going to be a little tough to reach though, and remember to take your truck out of 4wd! Hope they have good product liability insurance.