Is this genius or nuts

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by paul vroom, Mar 19, 2008.

1. paul vroom

paul vroom LawnSite Senior Member

Hi Guys, has anyone tried this. I have a 2000lb winch that I am going to mount onto the 4x4. I will attach the winch hook to a chain on the plywood floor, I am going to have the 4x4's attached into a steel 4x4 sleeve that is going to be welded to the floor and toward the top of the rack. The winch will pich up the front of the floor and the back by the opening will be free floating, thus I will have created a dump, maybe. This is an older pic of the truck, I have a box on it now for leaf pickups, I am hoping this will save the time of unloading the leaves by hand. Until I can afford a real dump. What do you think? Will it work?

truck.jpg

2. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

It will work fine until the angle changes on the posts and the entire assembly bends. The action on a dump is radial. The winch is also very slow.

3. ClippersLC

ClippersLC LawnSite Member

Hey its a start. i think its a pretty clever idea, raking anything downwards is better than trying to rake upwards or on a flat surface... i think it should do pretty good for now, clever thinking :cool2:

4. paul vroom

cgaengineer Thanks but Is it going to bend where it is floating? I would think that the winch will be lifting it straight up and the other end will drag.

Thanks clipper. I will post pics or a report on why it did not work.

5. Sweet Tater

Sweet Tater LawnSite Silver Member

6. cgaengineer

You would need to look a a wrecker to understand, but I will try to explain. On a wrecker they have a guide similar to your setup. The guide is on a pivot between the frame to make sure the flatbed goes back down in the same place every time. Its a similar idea to yours but with a hydraulic cylinder as the power instead of a winch.

Your idea will work if you make the either the female or the male ends of your guides pivot. You may also want to run your winch through a pulley, it would be even slower, but you would have more of a mechanical advantage thus twice the rated pull of the 2000K winch making it a 4000K winch.

If you are not using guides and simply have two holes cut through the floor you will need to open up these holes and make them larger then your fixed winch hanger which is bolted/welded to the frame underneath the bed.

Hope you understand what I am trying to describe.

7. cgaengineer

My question is, are you going to be able to get it high enough to dump the leaves without busting maximum height requirements or is the idea just to get it to tilt enough to make removing leaves easier?

8. paul vroom

Sweet Tater. That is pretty good. How long is the section that you lift? I was thinking of putting the winch in the front but you have it in the back. My bed is 9' so I am thinking I would have to be morer than 7' high, which I would be if the winch were up front. You did an awesome job on that.

cgaengineer
    Thanks for the feedback. I like the pully idea. How slow is the winch? I have to check it out...

9. cgaengineer

You should be able to get the ft per minute from the maker of the winch. ARB also makes a pulley that can stand the force generated buy using this setup. This pulley is made so that the cable can be removed without having to remove the hook. You also need to check the cable strength to make sure it can handle 4000 pounds. I have a 5/16 cable on my truck and I think it is rated higher than 9000 pounds and I have pulled to the winches stall. So if your cable is 5/16 or larger you should be ok.

The winch on my truck is a Warn 9000 pound winch mounted to an ARB bull bar.

10. paul vroom

Well I figured I would be at a height of 7' so the floor should rise to about 6.5'. That should be high enough to atleast get most of the leaves to dump. Then if need be I could use a rake to get the rest moving.