Is this giving it away?

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by turf hokie, Sep 12, 2004.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Ran into a contractor (national) that wants to use me for some 2 sites of theirs. One is an office park -8 buildings-18 acres. the other a world HQ 30 acres. They are currently having their accounts serviced by a large fert company for $136 an acre for pre-m/fertilizer/weed control as round 1. Told them the guy was giving it away. Are they? and what would you do it for. I figure I can get 50 acres done in 3 days b/c there is no travel. (one man and a ride-on)
    Thanks for the input

2. Green Dreams

Green Dreams LawnSite Senior Member
    from Texas

I get $5 a 1,000 for anything over 20k feet....

3. DUSTYCEDAR

DUSTYCEDAR LawnSite Fanatic
    from PA

that is cheep but the big guys can do it cheep i wouldent bother with it

4. turf hokie

I was thinking that with current commodity prices (fuel, etc) I can get 150-155 per acre. I know the manager that deals with the subs very well and the 136 per acre is the same price as 3 years ago. Does my price end up making it worth the time. Maybe I am putting too much in the idea of saving drive time with the 2 stops for 50 acres. We are talking over 2 million square feet.

5. James Cormier

James Cormier LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Ma

This is $3.00 per k, that is border line for me, I do a soccer complex at that price but its all flat open fields ( 9 acres ) an no pesticides, just fert. I feel like IM giving them a good price and for that they dont bid it out. Im not sure I would do a office park at that price if it included weed and prem. Plus commerical sites are usually broken down into sections which will take you longer than a big field.

I also do some large commerical properties that I charge $7.50 per acre, but that includes fert, prem, weed,surface insects ( as needed ).

YOu can budget the project out using HRs and materials. Me with my PG I find I can do about 70k per hr when Im doing my office parks So your first site of 18 acres or will take you 11hrs and 54 bags of fert (3.5 lbs per k ) so you can figure it out from that.

6. turf hokie

Thanks James
    I was just a little sketchy on the time it would take to do the app. I figured 3 days to do the 50 acres. The more I did math the foggier it seemed to get. I figure that the office complex and the corporate HQ will even themselves out and they are looking at 4 acres of ball fields at a college. I have to believe that in the long run it will be a great account for me. They currently maintain 300-400 acres that I can potentially end up with.

7. Tscape

Tscape LawnSite Bronze Member

That sounds about right to me. But I am in Michigan, different market.

8. MowingisMaddness

MowingisMaddness LawnSite Senior Member

How many Rounds are they going to let you apply? If they are only wanting Round 1 then the Pre-M is going to really eat into your profit. You will still make money, but you will feel like you are giving it away... It's worth much more... aj

9. turf hokie

The pre-m really only runs me about $8-10 more per acre when applied as a combo product. They are looking to give me at least 4 rounds possibly 5. But the price fluctuates with what the app is. Pre-post-fert or straight fert or fert with merit. I figured I am already giving up at least 30% on my regular sub work. But my regular sub work is usually residential and my contractors usually only have 500k to 1 mil square ft (30 to 60 stops) this is 2.2 mil square ft in 2 stops. I wanted to weigh my options as I am stuck in a tough spot right now. I work for a full service co while I am starting my own business. I am servicing 1.1 mil sq ft in my first year in business. And my boss isn't real thrilled with me taking a week off with every round and leaving at 5pm to do my squirt only customers every day. So I am on the border of getting canned and figure I might as well do it on my own terms.