1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this guy nuts?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Shelman Yard works, Apr 1, 2005.

1. Shelman Yard works

Shelman Yard works LawnSite Member

Tell me if this guy is nuts or should I put the grass down. I went to meet a gentleman for a commercial bid; this place is G.E. in Ohio. We are talking about 15 acres of grass with about 60-tree ring and main entrance that is all cut up and a lot of common areas. As we are talking about what he want he tells us only cut it 15 time this season until the V.P. comes in as sees the grass to high. Ok, there will be more work to come. Then he tells me that they had a company cutting last year at $515.00 a cut. I’m at $50 an acre $1200 a cut. I think this is just crazy. Now this is cut edge and trim letting it fly. Is this guy real? Could be trying his hardest to get the low guy. This placed paid 2700 a push for snow removal.
  2. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

The way business is here right now I would jump on it for $515 a cut letting it fly.
  3. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

If you check your own math you will find that 1) you are not really that far away from last years price of $515 a cut

2) Because your math is wrong at $1200.....15 acres at Your Stated price of $50 an acre is $750....NOT $1200. ;)
  4. afftandem

afftandem LawnSite Member

15acres x $50 = $750, not $1200
  5. trying 2b organic

trying 2b organic LawnSite Senior Member

I think his price is to low. How many in your crew to get it done and how long do you think it will take? I would put the price between the two and take the chance, its a risk but I agree with you about his price.
  6. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

$35 an acre for that type job is quite typical...surprised it isn't $25 per.
  7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

I wholeheartly agree Rod. I thought the other LCO's $515 was right on the money for that job.
  8. qps

qps LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indy

Maybe on a weekly cut...but not 15 times a year....it would be a jungle.
  9. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

GE headquarters in Cleveland? The guy was not being truthfull with you !
    It was mowed at $500 a mow last yr. and they sure never paid $2,700 a push for just the cleveland headquarters.
  10. Shelman Yard works

Shelman Yard works LawnSite Member

My bad, the math is wrong $ 80 an acre. Which is still low I think. It is going to take three guys all of 8 hrs to cut.

Are you familiar with this property? The snow was also salt and walks.