is this illegal

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bobcatnj, Mar 13, 2005.

1. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

i had an idea this morning when i went to get the newspaper and was wondering if this was illegal or not. the newspaper boxes where you put the 35 cents or whatever it is to get a paper, can you put flyers in those newspapers in those boxes?

2. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

i am paying 59.00 per 1000 to have my flyers inserted in the news paper in those boxes in my town... call the paper im shure thay have a insert rate...

3. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

What do you think? Its a great idea though, those boxes must hold 20 or 30 papers, your talking big time advertizing.

4. nobagger

nobagger LawnSite Gold Member
    from Pa

I would think that by the time you go to all of the sites you will have taken too long and a lot of the papers would be gone. Call the news paper and see what they would charge to insert them for you. That way you get all of your flyers out, but yes I think inserting flyers is a good form of advertising.

5. Cut

Cut LawnSite Member

I think he is talking about sticking his money in, then opening the front to get his paper, then shoving his flyers in each paper. And of course that would be stealing news journal space.

6. bobcatnj

bobcatnj LawnSite Senior Member

yea thats what i meant. sticking the money in and putting a flyer in every paper. maybe i'll call the newspaper company and see what they say

7. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

out of curiousity, is your intent to see if they have a problem with you trying this method, or to ask them what their insert rates are?

i think you'll find that if you look at the numbers, it's cheaper to pay for inserts than to pay .35-.75 per box.

8. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

Hmm... maybe I'll just make my own box, put my "newspaper like" brochures in there, and then put a "free" sign on the box.

9. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

Highly unlikely this would be worth the time and effort. You'd have to get up at 3am, armed with quarters and dimes, hit a newspaper box, get back in the truck, drive to the next, wherever that may be...it would take hours to even get a couple hundred flyers out.

10. ArizPestWeed

ArizPestWeed LawnSite Bronze Member

I like this idea !!
    Putting your own box out with your own flyers in 'em and charge 'em 50 cents for each one .
    My luck , some jerk comes along and takes 'em all out and put his in , in place of mine :rolleyes: