is this industry hard on your body?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by stevenf, Oct 11, 2008.

1. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine works at a bank and says lco come in all the time. He says they all look old, frail,week, and there skin looks terrible. Do any of you feel the effects on this or can this be avoided? Mabey suspension seats, extended trimmers, lighter blower...
  2. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

You tell your friend what he is seeing is the plight of the American worker,
    one direct result of that attitude of wanting everything handed over on a
    silver platter, what he is seeing is the dire situation of today's economy.

This is what depression looks like, we are killing ourselves to survive, literally, death but two steps
    from our front doors. The reason we look beat is because we are, our skin looks frail and sick
    because the cost of fuel takes food out of our mouths, we lack the sustenance to feed
    ourselves properly and we would charge more for our services but we can't.

That is the reality of things, that is what he is seeing, cold hard reality,
    hard to look at straight in the face if you ask me but this is what America
    has come to, and the longer we ignore the problem the worse it gets.

And there is little or nothing anyone can do, but it's all right, that's just the way it is.
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  3. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Well if you do not protect yourself from the elements you will be like that. Years of no sunscreen will take its toll on your skin. No hearing protection will take its toll on your hearing. People like to go out and destroy their bodies when they are young and don't worry about what will happen to them down the road. Take care of yourself now, and you don't have to be like that later.
  4. LawnTamer

LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member

Yes, it is hard on your body. I've been doing it more or less for 18 years, I have back and hip issues. Nearly everyone I know who has done this for any long period of time has acquired some type of long term injury or malady.
  5. whoopassonthebluegrass

whoopassonthebluegrass LawnSite Platinum Member

Using one's body to make a living definitely has drawbacks... but that's how it's been done for thousands of years, so I'm not too bothered.

I do the sunscreen, hearing protection, and have begun to purchase equipment that makes my labor less intensive (hydrostatic mower instead of belt drive, etc)...

This industry is tough. The only way to succeed is to get in, make your money within a short period of time, and then be in a position to walk away from it all before you're completely spent. Anyone who's skating along at $30-40k/year is in for a world of hurt...

There ARE perks, though. I still eat like 6,000 calories a day and am fit. I don't shy away from physical labor, or put myself on the injured roster everytime I have a "project" needing to be done...

There are definitely better ways to make money, but there are FAAAAAAR more worse ways.
  6. stevenf

stevenf LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there anything you can do for back and joint problems? do you guys get them from riding the mower, bending down while trimming, turns on a
    WB? What would you say is the leading cause?

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I've been fortunate for as long as I've been doing this (almost 20 years) to have never been seriously injured, nor have any nagging problems.

I sleep with a lot of pillows....put several under the legs and one of those long body pillows to sort of hang on, this seems to keep my knees and legs fresh. Years ago I had chronic sore knees, not really an injury but they always felt stiff and sore.
  8. markahurley

markahurley LawnSite Senior Member

please tell me this is satire. please.
  9. landscaper22

landscaper22 LawnSite Senior Member

Get rid of those WB's and get some ZTR's and you will see your profits go up, and your body feel better. (I know I stepped in it with that statement, but oh well). The only thing that bothers me is my wrist when I have to use the string trimmer for extended periods of time. Other than that I don't put much pressure on any other joints or body parts. I can see where landscape installs could be rough on a body over a long period of time, but you have to be smart and let the younger employees tackle the more back breaking portions of the jobs.
  10. david shumaker

david shumaker LawnSite Senior Member

You are right. I used a walk behind only my first year and all the walking wore me out. Now I dread using one. I had to use the walk behind last week because my ZTR was in the shop. I still get enough exercise doing trimming.