1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this known to happen to Kohlers?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by soloscaperman, Aug 11, 2009.

1. soloscaperman

soloscaperman LawnSite Gold Member

I have this problem since I bought my mower (Kohler 27 HP). After about 3 hours on the mower the next day I start it up and blows white smoke. I thought maybe it has to break in. Well when I got 7 hours on it I changed the oil, filter, etc.

Every so often I will start it and it blows smoke and fills my garage. Then goes away after a min or so.

If I run it high it burns of quicker but I let it idle. I think it was the stupid dealer. It sat for a year and in front of my starts it up after jumping it and runs it full speed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I mean for 5 min straight!

My freakin Kawa motor from 03 that has 15HP and has over 3,000 hours never smokes!! I was never a fan of Kohler.

It only happens when the motor is cold or if the trailer jumps a lot. The oil is on the full mark. I really want to put Mobil one but use castrol 10-30. I read something about the 25HP with the needle float or the valves.
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2009
  2. highlander316

highlander316 LawnSite Senior Member

my 25HP Kohler does it once and a while when its cold, maybe once a week or, or once every other week when I first start it in the morning.
  3. DT Lawn Care

DT Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have Kohler Command single cyls, and if it sits overnight or jumps on the trailer like you say, it does the same thing. If you let it sit long enough, the gas will flow through to the oil also, so beware. Simple fix is put a gas shut-off on it, and turn it off after every day, and if it's bad, after every lawn. I have gotten into the habit of just turning it off after every lawn. I have not had one problem with this since. Hope this helps. And also, I don't know where that came from Punt.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

NOPE... NOT a knowned issue
  5. punt66

punt66 LawnSite Fanatic

hahahah that didnt take long
  6. soloscaperman

I read about some of the the Kohlers doing that because of the angle of the motor.

Should I bring it to the shop now or wait when mowing season is over?

Thanks for the advice guys :)
  7. HARRIS Property Management

HARRIS Property Management LawnSite Member

My Kohler does the same thing. I will try the shut off valve and see if works from the previous post but I would go back to Kawasaki any day. I hate Kohler. All these years in business and they still cant get it right. Surely they surveyed enough Kohler customers to know this is a common problem.
  8. soloscaperman

If this is normal then I guess the life of the motor will last just as long as other brands?? I just don't want to blow my motor up. I will see if the warranty covers it. For any mower even in this age it should never do this especially for what you pay for!

STIHL GUY LawnSite Fanatic
    from CT

the only time ive seen a motor do that is after sitting for the winter
  10. Kutz Lawns

Kutz Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

Don't bet on Kohler covering anything under warranty, I wouldn't!

I can't stand my 25 Command Pro! Head gasket blew at 420 hours.

If I could only have a Honda EFI, in my dreams!