1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Is this littering?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lightning01svt, Jul 27, 2003.

Is this littering?

1. Yes, "John Doe is littering!"

17 vote(s)
  2. Mow over it hoping it would not be noticeable.

23 vote(s)
  3. The clown has big feet. :D

17 vote(s)
  1. lightning01svt

lightning01svt LawnSite Member

"John Doe" is cutting yard "X". He sees a paper towel on the ground. His first cut beside the paper towel. On the next pass, he stops, picks up the paper towel, and moves it to the side that has been mowed.

Now we all know to pick up the trash lol, but is this considered littering by "John Doe"? Even though he originally did not put the trash down, or would you just mow over it hoping it would not be noticeable?
  2. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

...but what if he dosn't get off the mower? What if he used the mower to blow it arround untill it's out of the way?:confused:
  3. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

no litterbug here. not a very nice way to do things but I suppose I have kicked a few things from the next pass into the pass I just made.:blush:

4. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

no, its not littering
  5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I say the clown has big feet!

6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Two words: DEBRIS BAG
  7. lawnman_scott

lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic

Five words. Im not a garbage man. Some stuff ill ppick up, but some i will not touch.
  8. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

You're a garbage man if you've agreed to maintain the lawn and there is trash on it. Whether you decide to charge for it, stack it at the curb, can it, or carry it off, it's ultimately YOUR responsibility to leave the grass looking freshly cut and CLEAN. I understand where you're coming from, believe me. I had one customer who didn't have a single lid on their cans, and EVERY week, there was trash all over the side yard. I picked it up once, then charged them $5.00 the next time. They had a hissy fit, so I said it needs to be picked up before I mow or I will charge again or go around it. They did not want to be charged more, they would not pick it up, so I just quit doing that entire side of the yard. Then I realized that neighbors were seeing me leave this job looking terrible every week, and I decided it was not worth me keeping it at all. Dropped them.

But a paper towel?? Get real. If it was MY yard, and I saw you MOVE it, to go around it, you'd be fired as you loaded the trailer. Same with an employee, fired. Be a professional, get a debris bag for your mowers, and pick up the small stuff if it can't be hidden, and charge for the larger stuff or for lots of trash.

9. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

o, now i have to stop and pick up trash? no way. if its once in a while, ok, but when it becomes a problem, i just run over everything, garbage, toys, and one time, even a timex watch, boy, talk about watching time fly.....
  10. mtdman

mtdman LawnSite Gold Member

I've got a couple of apartment houses down by campus. These kids are pigs and don't ever pick up any trash that's on their lawn. In fact, I think they just dump their trash out there on purpose without bags for the garbage man to pick up. It's not my job to pick up after these kids, and I won't do it. One or two pieces of trash on the lawn, a stray paper, I'm all over it. But this is rediculous and I refuse to be their garbage man. I usually pull out the blower and blow it all into their driveway. Yeah, it's horrible and I'm probably the worst LCO in history because I do that, but I don't care. The guy that owns the place who lives on the other side of the state still pays just the same.