Is this lowballing?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by lawnguy72404, Jun 22, 2006.

1. lawnguy72404

lawnguy72404 LawnSite Member

Do you guys feel that offering discounts to certain groups like firemen, police officers etc... would be lowballing. I think this may be a good way of building clients and goodwill? I want to do it the right way though. Thanks

2. Lynch Landscaping

Lynch Landscaping LawnSite Member

I don't think that's lowballing because people like them help everyone so we need to help them.

3. rustyb265

rustyb265 LawnSite Member

I am a policeman with a lawn care business on the side. First of all I can tell you that I dont think this is lowballing. It is simply a marketting strategy. But....I can also tell you that I hate when people offer me discouts just because I am a cop. (other than coffee at dunkin donuts :) ) It is kinda embrassing to me. I make a decent salary and although I work very hard to support my family, I understand that I am much better off than some people. THis is just my opinion...I am sure you will find plenty of cops and fireman that welcome the discount. Just be careful you dont lose business because of offending people or making them feel uncomfortable.

4. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

Rusty- funny you talk about free coffee- in my suburb of Chicago that I used to live they wanted to ban giving free coffee because the duty guys would hang at the DD and other business felt they were not getting equal protection.

72404 The question would be asked "why them" or "why should I pay more just because I work in an office- I guess I will call Mr. Equal LCO"

In a lot of cases, singling out certain groups is predigest. Seniors are safe but be careful of the others

5. Freddy_Kruger

Freddy_Kruger LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, Charge cops extra, old ladies to. I just got fired by one today.

I got fired because of the way I cut her lawn, patches of it are turning brown. Maybe its the lack of rain? its very green where the sump pump is? no... grass don't need moisture:laugh:

6. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

To me, doing something for nothing is lowballing, I don't give nobody nothing for free.

I keep telling you guys not to cut so often when it's this dry and hot, now you can either take this advice or just wait until the rest of your customers catch on.

7. Freddy_Kruger

on that note, yesterday and today I explained to every customer I seen that It's by the cut not by the month. There was some confusion but next week is a fifth cut this month and I want more money. But then one of them told me that I will lose out on money in aug and sept. Her lawn guy last year didn't show up because the grass wasnt growing and still charged her (I'm assuming).

So now I'm thinking crap!

I think I'll do a JustMowIt thing where if your grass aint growing charge to bi-weekly for an extra 5 bucks a cut. I don't feel right charging ppl for not cutting and I need the money.

Not sure of any solutions, I'm under the impression you charge by the cut but only cut when you think it needs it. I'm not sure how that would affect my income. I always compare lawns to snow removal I charge the same each month whether I go out 10 times or not at all. But it isnt translating into lawns very well.

Sorry to hijack.

8. daveintoledo

daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member

if your prices are already too low....., senior discount only...

9. garth1967

garth1967 LawnSite Senior Member

if you are going to give cheap prices to people they will certainly recommend you thats for sure and before ya know it you have got all these cheap jobs you are trying unload

aussieflag

10. Freddy_Kruger

Exactly my position but you have to learn how to price in your market somehow I suppose not to mention how to mow lawns, an on going process. (my first year)